Macro algae questions

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would like to add macro algae to sump but I was wondering if they would soak up to many nutrients and affect my corals? Also any tips about using macro algae would be greatly appreciated!

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part macro algae takes in the unwanted nutrients.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not usually the case that macroalgae take up too much. Most often, they do not take up enough, but you can always limit the amount present if overconsumption of nutrients becomes an issue.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin, I wouldn't worry too much about the macro taking up to many nutrients. That's not normally the case you control the amount of light the macro gets. I would recommend starting off with 6 hours and if the macro is not consuming enough nutrients then bump up the hours the light is on. I run my macro light the opposite of my tank lights. I have had other tanks I have run the macro light 24/7.

Hope this helps.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin, I wouldn't worry too much about the macro taking up to many nutrients. That's not normally the case you control the amount of light the macro gets. I would recommend starting off with 6 hours and if the macro is not consuming enough nutrients then bump up the hours the light is on. I run my macro light the opposite of my tank lights. I have had other tanks I have run the macro light 24/7.

Hope this helps.

This macro algae is new to me as well. I have a jbj 45 and it has three chambers in the back the filter compartment empty one(where I put my chaeto) and then return pump chamber. I was told to run my light which is a led light bulb from Home Depot with a 6500k rating which is growing my chaeto awesome trimmed it twice since putting the light on. I still have a couple tiny spots of algae in my DT. You’re saying by runnin the light 24/7 for a few days will absorb more nutrients in an attempt to get rid of the rest of the algae in the tank?

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This macro algae is new to me as well. I have a jbj 45 and it has three chambers in the back the filter compartment empty one(where I put my chaeto) and then return pump chamber. I was told to run my light which is a led light bulb from Home Depot with a 6500k rating which is growing my chaeto awesome trimmed it twice since putting the light on. I still have a couple tiny spots of algae in my DT. You’re saying by runnin the light 24/7 for a few days will absorb more nutrients in an attempt to get rid of the rest of the algae in the tank?

By running the light more yes that would potentially increase the growth which would remove more nutrients. Doing it for a few days may not make that big of a difference it takes time to grow and the chaeto is going to grow if there are nutrients to eat. How long have you had the chaeto in the tank? If it hasn't been that long I would wait a little longer before changing anything. It's a small space so keep it trimmed and let it keep growing in a week or two those spots may go away without you having to make any changes.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto has been in there for a couple months now but I just recently about two weeks ago out the light on it and trimmed it once each week prior. I have notice the algae growth appear to have stopped just patiently waiting for it to be gone now and was just curious if running the light longer would be beneficial.

Back