• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Macro Algae Reactor (Advice)

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110 gallon tank. Looking to get a Macro Algae Reactor for 1) Phos control and 2) Co2 control (desire higher PH).

Anyone have any recommendations? I have about 7x7 inches of space in sump and could add up to 16-18 inches high.

Looking at the new Tunze or Pax Bellam as options. Anyone have experience with these or any others they can recommend?

Currently have a Santa Monica something or another algae scrubber. Does not work well at all.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought the Tunze so don’t have any experience to share, it just arrived today and still in the box, but one reason I picked it is because I need to run it externally due to lack of space in the sump.

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought the Tunze so don’t have any experience to share, it just arrived today and still in the box, but one reason I picked it is because I need to run it externally due to lack of space in the sump.

How is your Tunze working out?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** might want to get this thread moved to a proper category.

I run both. Arid for over a year, Tunze for a few weeks.

Both are great reactors. Both grow macroalgae.

Tunze design has a nice tumble of cheato, but once it gets full, stops spinning, much but easier to maintain than the Arid.

I hate the size of tubing for the Tunze, so I hard plumbed it, but do like it comes with a DC pump.

*I don't believe the larger Tunze is available in US yet.

As of yet, I don't know which I'd recomend, but lean more towards the Tunze, mainly due to maintenance aspect and the light is outside, as it doesn't get dirty. Arid does grow algae on the light bar quickly, and needs more cleaning, more parts.

Both are working great on the two tanks keeping my heavy feeding in check.

Last edited:

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very interested in your review. I do not have space in my sump and am pre-disposed to like Tunze

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the NYOS Torqr Reactor and put macro Alage in it. Then got a cheap $20 grow light from Amazon and it is doing better than any alage scrubber or Reactor that i have ever tried using.

Cheaper too!

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a crappy picture.

It even has two chambers, so i can run some other type of media or two types of macro in there.

image.jpg

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very interested in your review. I do not have space in my sump and am pre-disposed to like Tunze
I am very happy with the reactor. Once we sorted out a few problems with the pump it has been running flawlessly for a month or so and growing Chaeto well. I have the light hooked up to my Apex but basically any timer would work. I got one of the first units in the country and there was a minor issue with the pump which became a major issue because there were no parts. Roger at Tunze is a superstar and he worked closely with me to help me through the problem. I believe it was a manufacturing issue that was identified and corrected so units currently available should not have this problem. The one thing I can advise you is to be careful how you run the tubing because it’s silicone and it’s easy to kink and any kink will cause an issue as there will not be enough water moving through the reactor to spin the contents. Keep the hoses as short as possible. All in all I would buy it again. It’s doing what I wanted it to do —-it’s growing Chaeto and my nutrients are staying low. If you want more information or have a specific question I would be happy to try to help you. Feel free to send me a PM

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon tubing can be a PITA if you can find the correct Eheim tubing it last for multiple decades.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the 3181 externally and the pump will not push the water to the unit and it is turned up to 100%. Is there a simple way to prime this thing that someone can suggest?
Thanks

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the 3181 externally and the pump will not push the water to the unit and it is turned up to 100%. Is there a simple way to prime this thing that someone can suggest?
Thanks
Likely there is a bend or kink in the silicone tubing. Should not need priming.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
top of the unit is tight? Sure in and out are not reversed? If all checks out, give Roger a call at Tunze. He will sort it out. Best customer service anywhere I have seen. He is in Texas, USA, central time zone.

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kinks and the tubing is relatively short. I have it set up externally and the pump will not push water to the unit.
I have a hard time getting the reactor to prime and push water again after harvesting the chaeto. I too have it externally and sitting about one foot lower than the pump in the sump. Have about 3 feet of the silicon as an output. Did you get yours figured out?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back