Macro Aqua M-50 Protein Skimmer

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Macro Aqua M-50 on my 29 gallon. I saw a few reviews by a people out there but figured I'd add my experiences with for anyone searching in the future.

It as only been running a few hours so I can rate its performance yet but here are a few pros and cons:

Pros:
  1. Price
  2. Pump feels pretty solid
  3. Easy Set up

Cons:
  1. The white color really pops in my tank which draws attention from other areas of the tank
  2. The casing feels a bit flimsy (but it it holds up who cares)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

OP
OP
Itsadeepbluesea

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

It is working about as expected. Not currently overly impressed by it. However I let it run before I started to adjust it, as I heard it had a long break in period. Does seem to be running a bit better with adjustment. I I plan to fine tune it over the next week or so. It is currently making a tea colored skimmate, but not as dark as my reef octopus made on my other tank.

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

It is working about as expected. Not currently overly impressed by it. However I let it run before I started to adjust it, as I heard it had a long break in period. Does seem to be running a bit better with adjustment. I I plan to fine tune it over the next week or so. It is currently making a tea colored skimmate, but not as dark as my reef octopus made on my other tank.
I've had it for some months now and it just stopped working all of a sudden. Check out my thread on it https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/skimmer-impeller-shaft-slipping-out.794507/

I wish I never bought this crap

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further follow up:

As I have dialed it in the skimmate is starting to become more of what I am accustom too.
May I ask what settings you have yours on? I been running mine for 2 months and still getting the dark tea and emptying it once every day or 2. I would like it to make a thicker dryer skimmate if possible.

OP
OP
Itsadeepbluesea

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what settings you have yours on? I been running mine for 2 months and still getting the dark tea and emptying it once every day or 2. I would like it to make a thicker dryer skimmate if possible.
I have mine turned up almost all the way. It is a very dark color and I have to empty it about 1x per week. I do have it set up to a 5 gallon bucket as well, just incase.

OP
OP
Itsadeepbluesea

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up to this post. It continues to work well. I would say exceeds expectations at this time. I did have an over flow issue one day, but have adjusted the flow and have been fine ever since.

mwsmusic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted the company, and it appeared to be the fact that they sent me the wrong impeller with the wrong parts. It was all sorted out and it worked great after, but microbubble galore is still ongoing. Even after messing with the dials for so long. Not sure what to do tbh!

mwsmusic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted the company, and it appeared to be the fact that they sent me the wrong impeller with the wrong parts. It was all sorted out and it worked great after, but microbubble galore is still ongoing. Even after messing with the dials for so long. Not sure what to do tbh!
Both of mine are doing great with no micro bubbles one is in my bowfront tank and the 2nd is in Biocube chamber one. Not sure why it is giving you an issue, might be a crack in the housing or such?

mwsmusic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so microbubbles started in one and I could not get rid of them, also they starting leaking at the adjustment knob. Switched out to Aquamaxx bullet 1 HOB and very very happy so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back