Macro + Corals in Sump

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a brand new tank with a 32 x 24 x 24 sump. I want to convert the middle section of the sump into a coral grow out section but I also want to add different macros. Now my question is about the lighting. I know that macros prefer different lights than corals but would I be able to use the same light (example AI 16 or Kessil 360) to grow corals and macro in the sump or would I have to pick one or the other?

20210626_172910.jpg 20210626_172914.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a brand new tank with a 32 x 24 x 24 sump. I want to convert the middle section of the sump into a coral grow out section but I also want to add different macros. Now my question is about the lighting. I know that macros prefer different lights than corals but would I be able to use the same light (example AI 16 or Kessil 360) to grow corals and macro in the sump or would I have to pick one or the other?

20210626_172910.jpg 20210626_172914.jpg

clarity - corals and macroalgae in SAME chamber? Don't think you have enough space for both given you also need return pump, filter socks, skimmer, in sump.

Macroalgae will be fine with same light used for corals BUT if only doing macroalgae you can save some $ and use cheaper light... but if you bought it and then scale back then just use what you buy. My macroalgae does fine growing in sump on a $3.50 LED lightbult on a shop light... I've even got an annoying amount of coralline growing in same section of sump so one might think this light would also work in my DT.... but I wouldn't go that far. I've got nice lights in my DT and will continue to use my AI lights in DT. LOL

here is what I use to light my sump and grow macroalgae:
https://melevsreef.com/articles/inexpensive-refugium-bulb

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clarity - corals and macroalgae in SAME chamber? Don't think you have enough space for both given you also need return pump, filter socks, skimmer, in sump.

Macroalgae will be fine with same light used for corals BUT if only doing macroalgae you can save some $ and use cheaper light... but if you bought it and then scale back then just use what you buy. My macroalgae does fine growing in sump on a $3.50 LED lightbult on a shop light... I've even got an annoying amount of coralline growing in same section of sump so one might think this light would also work in my DT.... but I wouldn't go that far. I've got nice lights in my DT and will continue to use my AI lights in DT. LOL

here is what I use to light my sump and grow macroalgae:
https://melevsreef.com/articles/inexpensive-refugium-bulb
I am not going to be running a skimmer. In my current tank I stopped running the skimmer some months ago so I'll be converting the area for the skimmer into either the coral or macro section and the other section into whatever other part I end up using (coral or macro). The filter sock is pretty high as well

Back