Macro M-50 Versus Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB

otzhorse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know this is an odd question but I'm really trying to decide if spending the money is worth it. I currently have a Macro M-50 skimmer I bought from Amazon for $60 6 months ago. It is loud but not spend and additional $200 bucks loud. So I am trying to figure out how much better the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 is than the M50 before dropping the money it. The M50 removes gunk like crazy, I have never had a leak (knock on wood), and it seems to serve its purpose. Can anyone tell me why I would want to spend $200 to get the Aquamaxx? I really hate the noise level of the M50 by the way but I'm cheap too. :)

OP
OP
otzhorse

otzhorse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note I have a 60 gallon tank with 7 fish and 7 frags in it and 70 lbs of live rock and I run a canister if any of that helps.

OlPainless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever make this upgrade? I just got the M-50 and leaked on me twice in the first 2 days. looked for something else now.

OP
OP
otzhorse

otzhorse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever make this upgrade? I just got the M-50 and leaked on me twice in the first 2 days. looked for something else now.
I did and if you are a fan of a HOB then the Aquamaxx is hard to beat. The only leaks I've had were self-imposed (mounted corals with epoxy). I understand the reef octopus is good as well. I had a time picking which one I wanted and ended up with the Aquamaxx. It is quieter and it will pull a lot more stuff than the m50.

OlPainless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did and if you are a fan of a HOB then the Aquamaxx is hard to beat. The only leaks I've had were self-imposed (mounted corals with epoxy). I understand the reef octopus is good as well. I had a time picking which one I wanted and ended up with the Aquamaxx. It is quieter and it will pull a lot more stuff than the m50.
I just ordered the reef octo 1000, should get it tomorrow. From what I've been seeing the aquamaxx 1.5 and reef octo 1000 are the go to's for hob skimmers. Cost a bit more but it looks like you get what you pay for in this salty world!

OP
OP
otzhorse

otzhorse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the reef octo 1000, should get it tomorrow. From what I've been seeing the aquamaxx 1.5 and reef octo 1000 are the go to's for hob skimmers. Cost a bit more but it looks like you get what you pay for in this salty world!
True story. Let me know your thoughts on the RO 1000. I almost got that one too.

OlPainless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True story. Let me know your thoughts on the RO 1000. I almost got that one too.
So far so good, like I’ve seen a lot of people say, it’s bigger then expected but seems to be running great!

Attachments

• 21AF9C5A-BEB1-493E-AF4D-08B7A2BB03CA.jpeg
    21AF9C5A-BEB1-493E-AF4D-08B7A2BB03CA.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1851.MOV
    25.3 MB
OP
OP
otzhorse

otzhorse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, like I’ve seen a lot of people say, it’s bigger then expected but seems to be running great!
Very nice. You should start a build thread. It really does help others when they hear about the issues or successes you have. Hope the RO 1000 does the job for many years to come. At least I know who to ask if my Aquamaxx ever goes bad.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back