Macroalgae Display Tanks... the way of the future!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macroalgae is so beneficial in the aquarium industry and the natural environment. An untapped and truly special style of tanks is the up and coming macroalgae planted reef tanks! Tanks made up of purely macros and creating a much more natural look. Some people think these are display refugiums... wrong they are the whole tank! Check out just a couple of these that are absolutely gorgeous!

I myself even have one running and have found it to be a very fun and interesting new way of reefing! Saltwater planted tanks are a new niche system and in my opinion a growing concept! Hope you all enjoy these tanks, and lets hear what you have to think about these style of systems!

Here is my own...

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 6.08.47 PM.png

Here are a few that have inspired me, and brought me to this very place of creating my own!

Tigahboys amazing systems!

Inland Reefs awesome system!

Lets hear it from you all! What do you think of these awesome saltwater planted tanks?

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of macroalgae tanks and I wish there were more examples. Unfortunately people seem to like keeping a bunch of fish and invertebrates that love to chow down on algae.

What is the stocking list for your tank?

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of macroalgae tanks and I wish there were more examples. Unfortunately people seem to like keeping a bunch of fish and invertebrates that love to chow down on algae.

What is the stocking list for your tank?
As for fish its very minimal and could be added to! As of now just a single Flaming Prawn Goby that I havent seen since adding to the tank!

As for inverts I have a candy cane pistol shrimp really that is the star of the show in the Macro Shorelines. Also for snails I have a couple cerith and astrea to combat nuisance algae!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those algae munching fish are part of the goal for doing this. Keep them fat and happy. I've been following these on Insta and I'm a huge fan. So many sources are out of stock right now. Hopefully, we'll be able to source and follow soon.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get some blue velvet damsels(just got a pair myself,) some red ogo and blue scroll, mermaids wine glass some sargassum

Maybe a jawfish or a Gramma something that prefers meaty foods

Or you can go the other route and add some seahorses ;)

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macroalgae is so beneficial in the aquarium industry and the natural environment. An untapped and truly special style of tanks is the up and coming macroalgae planted reef tanks! Tanks made up of purely macros and creating a much more natural look. Some people think these are display refugiums... wrong they are the whole tank! Check out just a couple of these that are absolutely gorgeous!

I myself even have one running and have found it to be a very fun and interesting new way of reefing! Saltwater planted tanks are a new niche system and in my opinion a growing concept! Hope you all enjoy these tanks, and lets hear what you have to think about these style of systems!

Here is my own...

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 6.08.47 PM.png

Here are a few that have inspired me, and brought me to this very place of creating my own!

Tigahboys amazing systems!

Inland Reefs awesome system!

Lets hear it from you all! What do you think of these awesome saltwater planted tanks?
Yeah I have seen some very amazing macroalgae tanks. Very cool.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept ogo and pom pom in DT. My turbos knocked out my GHA in a week and after that went for the macro. Full softball sized planted chunks. Gone inside of one or two weeks. I didn’t think about it, until it was too late: feed more dried seaweed!

I’m sad for my luscious algae, but not surprised.

I’m presently regrouping and working to plan how to reintroduce macro because they are beautiful.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guess these are run in the same light cycle as the main dt. Does PH swing becomes an issue since you can't run off cycle like fuges do?

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae tanks are awesome. My angler loves his tank. About to setup another large scale one soon as well.

Angler biocube
9DE4387D-74FE-41A9-A33A-108369FCC2AF.jpeg

Macro soon to be in a 150 and grown out in a tub.
3201C7AD-5409-4183-9AF6-2860DED33031.jpeg

CB6F3D19-F3BB-44DD-B631-6EB8A1D89BC5.jpeg
Love this! Angler is such a great choice for a macro tank!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae tanks are awesome. My angler loves his tank. About to setup another large scale one soon as well.

Angler biocube
9DE4387D-74FE-41A9-A33A-108369FCC2AF.jpeg

Macro soon to be in a 150 and grown out in a tub.
3201C7AD-5409-4183-9AF6-2860DED33031.jpeg

CB6F3D19-F3BB-44DD-B631-6EB8A1D89BC5.jpeg
Hey Steve what is that macro in with the angler? Looks super clean man well done.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love these algae specific tanks!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guess these are run in the same light cycle as the main dt. Does PH swing becomes an issue since you can't run off cycle like fuges do?

Much too much focus on stable pH. The pH on the natural reef fluctuates substantially. As much as
8.2 - 7.8.

Low oxygen is the most important issue with insufficient circulation at the surface.

Back