Macroalgae ID

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given these today but I don't really remember what they were called (I blame the crappy memory on age lol). Any help with IDing them and giving me some info? I don't wanna pester the guy that gave them to me with texts or phone calls on a weekend. I think one was some kind or red hamilda and the other a caulerpa? I'm really horrible about names when it comes to meeting people so I'm sure I have that all kinds of wrong haha.

redmarco.jpg
greenmacro.jpg

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the red is dragons breathe! Not sure on the green one, but I would think a caulerpa species

Is dragons breath a good one? I trust the guy that gave me them 100%, just trying to find out more information and he's had a rough week so I don't want to pester him. Trying to be a good friend lol.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is dragons breath a good one? I trust the guy that gave me them 100%, just trying to find out more information and he's had a rough week so I don't want to pester him. Trying to be a good friend lol.
Very good :). Looks like you have chaeto in the sump. I don't know if you would benefit from the caulerpa. Dragons breathe isn't a super fast grower, but chaeto and caulerpa can be.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green looks like a type of caulerpa i used to have. I was given some and it was called "sawtooth" or "sawblade" something like that. Not an enormous amount of info online when i tried to research it more but it was a great grower and never gave me any issues! Maybe if you grow it out well, someday maybe i can buy some of each from you and have it shipped :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green looks like a type of caulerpa i used to have. I was given some and it was called "sawtooth" or "sawblade" something like that. Not an enormous amount of info online when i tried to research it more but it was a great grower and never gave me any issues! Maybe if you grow it out well, someday maybe i can buy some of each from you and have it shipped :D

Yea my goal is to hopefully grow both out. We will see how that goes.

I did give a tiny piece of both to the fish and man the sailfin and foxface went to town on them lol.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good :). Looks like you have chaeto in the sump. I don't know if you would benefit from the caulerpa. Dragons breathe isn't a super fast grower, but chaeto and caulerpa can be.

Do i need to do anything special to help those grow in my fuge? I have some hair algae growing in there so I know there are nutrients lol. I do have a light running from 10 PM to 5 AM. Anything else to help try and make it grow?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back