Macroalgae in tank

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m gonna do Macroalgae in tank since I love planted tanks.

Putting Macroalgae in the tank is not a slippery slope...right?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As you can see I have macro algae in my tank and it is not a problem. Choose less aggressive growing macro algae for in a display like red grape, dragon's breath or red titan. Stay away from caulerpa in a display. Choosing combtooth blennies can help with filamentous nuisance algae.

Macro algae is very effective at reducing nutrients so make sure the tank is fed heavily. It can die from lack of nutrients so watch to make sure it is getting enough. SPS tanks where heavy feeding but heavy export of nutrients is probably not a good choice for a macro tank. LPS and softies are better suited.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m f

As you can see I have macro algae in my tank and it is not a problem. Choose less aggressive growing macro algae for in a display like red grape, dragon's breath or red titan. Stay away from caulerpa in a display. Choosing combtooth blennies can help with filamentous nuisance algae.

Macro algae is very effective at reducing nutrients so make sure the tank is fed heavily. It can die from lack of nutrients so watch to make sure it is getting enough. SPS tanks where heavy feeding but heavy export of nutrients is probably not a good choice for a macro tank. LPS and softies are better suited.

I’m doing FOWLR

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find turning the tank into a refugium has more benefits than a hang on refugium?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 56 gallon was a stand alone AIO without a fuge for a long time. It only had an Aqua Clear 50 filter pump that I kept filter floss in.

If you have a HOB fuge then you can grow caulerpa in it or cheato. Cheato is not too aggressive in a display tank but it is not beautiful either, LOL. Although in a FOWLR I can visualize it making the rockscape more cohesive plus the green with red macro algae is nice.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have to learn what kind of Macroalgae is used for which issue.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have to learn what kind of Macroalgae is used for which issue.
It is hard there is just so much so many names so many colors so many different varieties so many different jobs of what they do it’s just so mind-boggling I don’t know anything about it to be honest but I do know that my red dragons breath is beautiful and grows like a beast actually the first Frags I ever made was last week when I trimmed it and had a few pieces that looked really nice so I made three more tiny little trees and I have them in a 10 gallon tank up in my room nice touch To the little tank and I also throw in a couple of small live rocks that I did not really like in my big tank so everything has a use. That’s a Sandollar in the tank in front of the one tree

image.jpg image.jpg

Back