Macroalgae refugium substrate

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up my 120 gallon Glass Cages beauty. Still working on the plumbing but should with some luck have water flowing thru the system in a couple of days. My sump consists of two 40 gallon breeders hooked together.

0B8FE108-B185-4684-8B8B-F704683B3906.jpeg

One fairly large section will be a refugium with a variety of macroalgae and MAYBE some chaetomorpha. What are the opinions regarding substrate under the macroalgae in the refugium? I am open to just about anything but would love to hear suggestions.
Also, if any one has any suggestions for macro purchases beyond Algae Barn I would be happy to hear them. More than a bit of negativity regarding AB lately and I want some other optione.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put nothing there. It becomes very hard to keep clean.

What happened with algaebarn? I typically have good service with them

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are apparently moving their facility and have had a bunch of bad reviews on Facebook. Delayed shipping. Low availability. DOA algae and critters.
oh and I appreciate the bare bottom idea but I want some natural food production and I am not sure there is enough habitat in a bare bottom refugium. I don’t know. maybe.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are apparently moving their facility and have had a bunch of bad reviews on Facebook. Delayed shipping. Low availability. DOA algae and critters.
oh and I appreciate the bare bottom idea but I want some natural food production and I am not sure there is enough habitat in a bare bottom refugium. I don’t know. maybe.

Ah. I was told that the recent heatwaves caused issues with their phyto production (and probably other things)

Also, what food are you wanting produced in the refugium? Some crustaceans can do just fine on the algae. I have no issues with pods in my refugium (and overflow, and sand, and rock). You can do a bag or two of seachem matrix if you want some hiding space.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what algae you want to have. Some grow better on rock and some in sand. I liked prolifera algae and for that I needed sand.
I get my algae from live-plants.com as I like their prices and quality. Forget his name who runs the place but he is awesome to talk to and will happily answer all questions.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ Kronnenwetter is diver/owner of GulfCoast Ecosystem: Live Plants free guide book link.

@jandlms
I like cryptic sponges as they effectively remove DOC from water column. Because I am all about nutrient recycling using the microbial loop to move carbon up the foos chain by providing multiple nutrient pathways to convert inorganic & organic nutrients into live food for hungry mouths. Having two 40G refugiums provides natural nutrient management by using a vegetable filter in front of cryptic refugium with Gulf of Mexico diver collected live rock. For lighted vegetable filter I like Ecosystem Mud/Macro filter. With the above arrangement, the focus is on nutrient recycling of live food

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently setting up my 120 gallon Glass Cages beauty. Still working on the plumbing but should with some luck have water flowing thru the system in a couple of days. My sump consists of two 40 gallon breeders hooked together.

0B8FE108-B185-4684-8B8B-F704683B3906.jpeg

One fairly large section will be a refugium with a variety of macroalgae and MAYBE some chaetomorpha. What are the opinions regarding substrate under the macroalgae in the refugium? I am open to just about anything but would love to hear suggestions.
Also, if any one has any suggestions for macro purchases beyond Algae Barn I would be happy to hear them. More than a bit of negativity regarding AB lately and I want some other optione.
Hi there! We have had some delays from our phytoplankton overhaul taking longer than anticipated. We do our website updated every week between 2-3pm MST and some things do sell faster than others. We are working on expanding our macroalgae grow out systems so that we can harvest more and more every week. As for any delays in delivery/doa we do have our AOA guarantee to make sure the customers are taken care of. As for the bare bottom refugium - you could use marine pure block to anchor/pinch the stalks of the macroalgae you choose so you have media for a pod population :)

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ Kronnenwetter is diver/owner of GulfCoast Ecosystem: Live Plants free guide book link.

@jandlms
I like cryptic sponges as they effectively remove DOC from water column. Because I am all about nutrient recycling using the microbial loop to move carbon up the foos chain by providing multiple nutrient pathways to convert inorganic & organic nutrients into live food for hungry mouths. Having two 40G refugiums provides natural nutrient management by using a vegetable filter in front of cryptic refugium with Gulf of Mexico diver collected live rock. For lighted vegetable filter I like Ecosystem Mud/Macro filter. With the above arrangement, the focus is on nutrient recycling of live food
Exactly what I am thinking. Cryptic refugium in line after a macroalgae refugium. I appreciate the advice. The only thing I am a bit Leary of would be the diver collected live rock in the cryptic area and any unwanted guests that might come in with it.

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! We have had some delays from our phytoplankton overhaul taking longer than anticipated. We do our website updated every week between 2-3pm MST and some things do sell faster than others. We are working on expanding our macroalgae grow out systems so that we can harvest more and more every week. As for any delays in delivery/doa we do have our AOA guarantee to make sure the customers are taken care of. As for the bare bottom refugium - you could use marine pure block to anchor/pinch the stalks of the macroalgae you choose so you have media for a pod population :)
Thats the problem with this internet thing. You can never completely trust what others post. I will undoubtedly be contacting you soon as the water starts flowing for real in the tank and sumps tomorrow.
I also like the idea of blocks as a base in the macro refugium but didn't I read (here is that internet again) that they potentially leached aluminum or some other metal.

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great success with Miracle Mud, I've been running refugiums for over 26 years, and always used the Miracle Mud by Ecosystems.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats the problem with this internet thing. You can never completely trust what others post. I will undoubtedly be contacting you soon as the water starts flowing for real in the tank and sumps tomorrow.
I also like the idea of blocks as a base in the macro refugium but didn't I read (here is that internet again) that they potentially leached aluminum or some other metal.
UCCsps.jpg
marine pure plates.jpg
This is a picture from one of our employees that has a ton of them in her farm and is growing everything out out any issues. They regularly send off ICP tests to make sure everything is in line and has never had any issues with it leaching anything. Feel free to DM us when you are ready to place your order or you would like to throw some ideas back and forth on your new refugium project either way we are happy to help! :)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I am thinking. Cryptic refugium in line after a macroalgae refugium. I appreciate the advice. The only thing I am a bit Leary of would be the diver collected live rock in the cryptic area and any unwanted guests that might come in with it.

I started Reefing before the internet. After 50 years, I stopped worrying about pest and focused on system diversity.

How do you plan on seeding cryptic sponges? One way or another you are going to have to bring in live rock, detrivores including micro fauna & fana. I choose to bring everything in at the same time with diver collected live rock.

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I currently do not have a plan. Not sure what I can do other than bring in live rock. Maybe quarantine the rock to try and minimize predatory crabs, flatworms, etc.?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I currently do not have a plan. Not sure what I can do other than bring in live rock. Maybe quarantine the rock to try and minimize predatory crabs, flatworms, etc.?
Quarantine is over rated. When I first starting Reefing, the scientific literature said that ick cysts incubation was 14 days. Because nature will find a way, that incubation period has been increased to 72 days. I prefer natural immunity with stress free environment.

Three months ago, I received 100 lbs of live rock and
50 lbs of live sand to start up a macro algae display tank. The only pest was some bubble algae, which is easily controlled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 46

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back