round2.jpeg

Plants:
maxresdefault.jpg

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plants are a single lineage that branched off from the green algae Chara 550-750 mya. Plants (plantae) are a monophyletic group which means they all have a common ancestor. Algae is a catch all for just about anything that photosynthesizes it has nothing to do with taxonomy or evolutionary history. Green algae and red algae share a common ancestor which diverged well before plants and Chara. Both green and red algae have primary chloroplasts in other words their common ancestor first picked up a photosynthetic cyanobacteria, which became the chloroplast. Brown algae, diatoms, dinos and a bunch of other algae are from a very different lineage Stramenopiles . They are photosynthetic because they picked up a red algae cell these are called secondary chloroplasts (there are also tertiary chloroplasts but lets not go crazy). Basic phylogeny showing the positions of these groups.
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...icating-the-phylogenetic-positions-of-the.png

Not sure if this is what you were looking for sorry if it wasn't.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To move to purely hobbyist perspective. You will spend a lot more money growing plants [emoji23]

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back