Maddening problem I cannot figure out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fmelindy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I'm new to Neptune and just getting set up and am running into a puzzler. I am trying to configure my probes but the icons do not appear to do this when I click the gear icon on the dashboard. Haven't been able to make these additional icons appear no matter what I try. I am using an Apex Classic, if that matters.

1607455734841.png

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex Classic and Apex Jr do not have the same full range of options in Fusion compared to the current Apex and Apex-EL models:

Apex & Apex-EL:
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 11.40.31 AM.png

Apex Classic and older models:
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 11.40.49 AM.png

For the older models, you need to access the Classic Dashboard in order to configure Inputs, create virtual outputs, configure network settings, etc. Use your web browser to access http://apex.local, or http://{IP address} of your Apex.

The username and password for the Classic Dashboard is not the same as your Fusion account. If you haven't changed the password, here is the default:

User: admin
Pass: 1234

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 11.43.52 AM.png

OP
OP
F

Fmelindy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, thanks guys, I had a feeling it was because i was on the classic.

Separate question for you: I have notifications getting sent to my phone, I have set them for alerts based on temp, pH and will eventually have them for leak detection. I am noticing that it only alarms me on one parameter. i.e. both temp and pH are in the alarm zone right now but I only get notifications on pH. Why is this?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, thanks guys, I had a feeling it was because i was on the classic.

Separate question for you: I have notifications getting sent to my phone, I have set them for alerts based on temp, pH and will eventually have them for leak detection. I am noticing that it only alarms me on one parameter. i.e. both temp and pH are in the alarm zone right now but I only get notifications on pH. Why is this?
That's just a limitation on the Apex alarm architecture. Once an alarm condition is met, the EmailAlm output turns On and send you a notification. While it's on, it cannot detect and send you any additional notifications until that condition is cleared up, then it will report on the next alarm condition. This in my opinion is the biggest weakness of the Apex.

Read my tutorial on Apex Alarm Programming for ways to fine-tune your alarms, including how to sequence them so the most critical alarms get sent instead of less important issues when multiple conditions are met: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-6-alarms.707/

OP
OP
F

Fmelindy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhhh, thanks for that! Did not make sense to me at all. Thanks for the link to the great articles as well.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a used classic apex in great condition. Spent a day trying to figure out where the missing icons were. Love it, but wish i knew about accessing the classic dashboard, would have saved alot of frustration. Thanks suncrest reef for the info

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just a limitation on the Apex alarm architecture. Once an alarm condition is met, the EmailAlm output turns On and send you a notification. While it's on, it cannot detect and send you any additional notifications until that condition is cleared up, then it will report on the next alarm condition. This in my opinion is the biggest weakness of the Apex.

Read my tutorial on Apex Alarm Programming for ways to fine-tune your alarms, including how to sequence them so the most critical alarms get sent instead of less important issues when multiple conditions are met: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-6-alarms.707/
By the way, thanks SuncrestReef for all of the tutorials, wish i had found those first instead of spending all day running around the web

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, thanks SuncrestReef for all of the tutorials, wish i had found those first instead of spending all day running around the web
Glad it helped!

For those of you following, here’s a link to all of my Apex tutorials:

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it helped!

For those of you following, here’s a link to all of my Apex tutorials:
Suncrestreef, i’m just in the process of reading your tutorials. I’m curious if there’s an article titled something like “so you just bought a used classic Apex” here are the steps that you need to follow. Is that in some of your tutorials or do you know of a resource. Thanks

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suncrestreef, i’m just in the process of reading your tutorials. I’m curious if there’s an article titled something like “so you just bought a used classic Apex” here are the steps that you need to follow. Is that in some of your tutorials or do you know of a resource. Thanks
All of my Apex tutorials were written showing screenshots from the newest Apex, but the Classic will require a lot of work to be done from the Classic Dashboard instead of through Fusion. I don’t have any of that written up.

Your best sources of info will be:

and the Comprehensive Reference Manual:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef is a "Godsend" for Apex related issues. Neptune Systems makes great products IMO (for the most part) but training & teaching folks how to apply it to their aquariums is very scattered. I've been screaming it for years to Neptune, to BRS and others who sell Neptune Apex products. Do an in-depth video, step by step in setting up an apex. I know BRS and Randy have their series but again it's scattered and brief. They need to do a "LIVE" unbox and set up with questions from viewers. An actual attaching equipment to a tank, powering up, calibrating probes and simple programming.

They'd sell thousands more if people understood how easy and the versatility of the product is.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back