Made a batch of saltwater alk is to high will this work.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 93% sodium bisulfate
Screenshot_20210921-214045_Gallery.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium bisulphate is safe to reduce alk, and looking at the sds for that product, the “other” is sodium sulphate. With that said, see the post from @Randy Holmes-Farley below about sodium bisulphate.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I am two for two on mess ups. Today. One early in the morning an now kinda high alk. Lol I'm going to bed. Ps. Don't dose anything to your tank until the coffee kicks in. Glad I had a wc station.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heres the deal. I have no shame. I've been using redsea nopox on my 220 fowler. No3 about 30 now. Thats another story. But have been dosing lanthium in my reef to lower phos. It's been slow but working.

I bought the red sea mag an nopox at the same time.I bought mag for my reef tank. Early Yesterday morning I deside to use the rest of the mg. There was not much in the bottle, about 250mls. I go back refill my coffee. Pour it into the reef tank. moments later I get an alarm from my apex.. the ph in my reef dropped to like 7.4 . what the heck... as the day went on I ponder this.why would adding mag drop my ph... So alexa reminds me It was time to dose the nopox to the fowler.. I reached for the nopox bottle an to my surprise it was empty an the mag bottle was not... I had dumped 250mls of nopox I to my 150g reef. Omg.... I mean they both were the same color and size. Son OF A **** now I know why the ph bottomed out. No comments can be as harsh as I was on my self.

Here's what odd. The tank looked fine all day. crystal clear. About 9pm. I had worried enough and desided to do a water change. To much carbon in the water for my liking.. my alk was low on my new water so I dosed to match alk. I added to much.. SON OF A ***** part 2 Hence this thread.

I went for it any way I did the math an the alk is 9.5 - 10 in my tank an 12.5 in my mix. I ll fix it later. I wanted that carbon out.

Well this morning I awoke to a tank so cloudy I could not see the back glass. Omg. the testing started. No amo, ph tanked to 7.5. I got it back up to 7.9. An I now have no no3s at all. Had 20-30 and my acros look amazing, hell it all looks amazing. (Still kinda cloudy.What happened? Why did I get a monster bloom. Only after the wc? An not when I od the tank hours earlier.I kind know. But dang... I dump 250 mls of nopox in my tank an went from 20 no3 to 0. Another odd fact my phos is at .07 it has not been affected. An that's the short story. the tank is clearing up nicely. But I guess I will have to feed heavy for awhile to get my no3 back to 5-10. I rebooted my tank I guess. Lucky it has all worked out SO FAR.

Last edited:

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, how do you make new water up and it's too high in alk? I've never tested my wc water, just assumed if the sg was good then it was good to go

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would greatly benefit from using red sea blue bucket vs pro and supplimenting with 2 part liquid salts up to your desired alk/cal level.
Just my .02.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, how do you make new water up and it's too high in alk? I've never tested my wc water, just assumed if the sg was good then it was good to go
Hes using a pro salt which has elevated alk. He wants to match the water change water alk with the tank water alk which will require the above mentioned chemical or muriatic acid.

Id much rather suppliment a mix with lower parameters vs using these chemicals to lower one parameter....

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless one keeps ones tank at the eact parms as the salt you are using, Excactly!!! one has to/should adjust the new water prior to performing a wc. If not then you will always be on that up an down roller coaster of levels. And adding this an that to raise or lower you parms post wc.

Truth be told I was out of my salt.. I only had instant ocean salt which I use for my QT tanks only. So I adjusted the water up to match and screwed it up a bit.(**** happens) once in 4 years is not a bad track record.

Salinity is not the only think one should check before adding water. Alot of info on salts with crazy levels.

This is how I treat my new water prior to adding it. I test it first, adjust it second, then add. It not required, but it makes me fell warm an fuzzy that there is little to no impact on my Dt water.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless one keeps ones tank at the eact parms as the salt you are using, Excactly!!! one has to/should adjust the new water prior to performing a wc. If not then you will always be on that up an down roller coaster of levels. And adding this an that to raise or lower you parms post wc.

Truth be told I was out of my salt.. I only had instant ocean salt which I use for my QT tanks only. So I adjusted the water up to match and screwed it up a bit.(**** happens) once in 4 years is not a bad track record.

Salinity is not the only think one should check before adding water. Alot of info on salts with crazy levels.

This is how I treat my new water prior to adding it. I test it first, adjust it second, then add. It not required, but it makes me fell warm an fuzzy that there is little to no impact on my Dt water.
Sadly, one F-up in 4 years will kill some nice colony worthy growth :(
Especially an alk spike.

That extra 250ml of carbon sure sucked your nitrate down though lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened? Why did I get a monster bloom. Only after the wc? An not when I od the tank hours earlier.I kind know. But dang... I dump 250 mls of nopox in my tank an went from 20 no3 to 0. Another odd fact my phos is at .07 it has not been affected.

Bacteria can only double in numbers so fast. Even in perfect conditions, it can take a long while to get to visible numbers.

Also, they may easily have depleted a critical trace element for their growth that was added back during the change.

It's not unexpected for nitrate to drop way more than phosphate with organic carbon dosing because denitrification uses organics and nitrate, but not phosphate.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well lucky I dodged a big one.
Sadly, one F-up in 4 years will kill some nice colony worthy growth :(
Especially an alk spike.

That extra 250ml of carbon sure sucked your nitrate down though lol

right. lololololol it sucked it right down to 0... not what I wanted. I DO NOT EVEN DOSE NOPOX IN MY REFF I did in the beginning, but got smart and stopped years ago.

my fish are going to enjoy the extra feeding over the next few days.

Last edited:
Back