OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, glad to see your tank is on the uphill! What kind of coral are you into or do you plan to add eventually?

I really want sps but soo tired of the little issues that cause them to die so easily so im torn between sps and lps. I'm more into the old school sps. Can be hard to find certain pieces though.

Ora bellina, sapphire milli, copps milli's, Oregon tort, purple monster, etc. I think I'm gonna do more millis on this tank regardless.

Also, I like gorgs, nps and sponges which I can put in the cryptic fuge.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want sps but soo tired of the little issues that cause them to die so easily so im torn between sps and lps. I'm more into the old school sps. Can be hard to find certain pieces though.

Ora bellina, sapphire milli, copps milli's, Oregon tort, purple monster, etc. I think I'm gonna do more millis on this tank regardless.

Also, I like gorgs, nps and sponges which I can put in the cryptic fuge.
I understand the SPS heartache. They are a major pain! I have been fighting with many of my acros lately. It’s always something for sure.

look forward to following your build (even though you don’t QT) :) ;)

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new additions lately mainly sps corals and a sweet ritteri nem.Been slowly removing my sand bed with every water change, so it’s taking forever lol

added another fish and I’m pretty much maxed in the larger stuff. Regal Angel that Eats pellets and frozen from day 1!!

Another Temp float and straight in to DT is this lil regal angel. I’ve had it for a few weeks now and I wasn’t sure it would make it as the powder blue would beat the crap out of it. But it’s held it’s own and getting more confident every day!

DCC1DF43-366F-4217-9F5A-DF43DFEFA264.jpeg 435CE1AE-4683-42AC-8107-3768F05F09FB.jpeg

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New frags from yesterday. Though the regal has taken to nipping the duncans, oh well...
D187A090-F93E-4CA5-8487-BF52DE824048.jpeg
4653FBED-234C-413D-8266-95A9385F9E0D.jpeg
9F33924D-741B-48C7-85B6-21667A471884.jpeg
3570E976-0D81-4460-80B5-CD2010CE3A68.jpeg
D03E9D68-8D38-4F58-AC65-2F1996032F5A.jpeg
D31748C0-6A27-42F3-8E46-0567D69E1FB5.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

gotta say, love the tank. The rock work is great. if you are like me, I am fish first, but I do love coral. You even got the same lepto. The PB looks great. It may have been the lighting, in a few of the pics in the middle the color looked lighter but now it looks deep. Are you feeding anything live or any supplements or just frozen?

So far our only difference is nems, those things freak me out. ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

gotta say, love the tank. The rock work is great. if you are like me, I am fish first, but I do love coral. You even got the same lepto. The PB looks great. It may have been the lighting, in a few of the pics in the middle the color looked lighter but now it looks deep. Are you feeding anything live or any supplements or just frozen?

So far our only difference is nems, those things freak me out. ;Nailbiting

Feed frozen and pellets. The big fish I feed pellets to make up their dietary needs. Mix of shrimp pellets, nls algae max 3mm and his spectrum 1mm. The anthias, clowns, mandarin, can only eat frozen, so I gotta get the bigger fish full first so they don’t get all the frozen.

I am most definitely fish over coral guy, lol

as for the lightening I have half bulbs bulbs run for an hour and half befor full light and then half for an hour and half before dark. So depending on when I take a pic will be different. Plus i get a light steak from the window in the middle of the tank, which is more pronounced in pics then in real life.

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did away with the cryptic fuge as it did not benefit the tank really, instead I went completely opposite and started a cyano/gha farm in the fuge! Half is cyano and half is gha. The cyano is to keep it on the fuge and the gha is to export nutrients. Sometime the cyano wins more surface area and other times it’s the gha. Interesting results indeed!
image.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you have a bit of cyano in the DT (but the majority is in the fuge)?

Also, do you leave the cyano be, or do you "harvest" it from time to time?

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you have a bit of cyano in the DT (but the majority is in the fuge)?

Also, do you leave the cyano be, or do you "harvest" it from time to time?

I dnot have cyano in the DT anymore as I don’t like chemiclean, so I decided to make it grow where I wanted and limit it taking foot in the DT. It’s been working so far. For the most part I leave it alone, If there are some longer/thick strands I’ll pull it off. I do harvest the gha to promote new growth.

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing about the cyano is that it stays on the egg crate under the plant lamp and spear spread elsewhere in the fuge. The fuge is a 55g tote full of rock and my slimmer and a power head, so plenty room to spread but it doesn’t.

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you getting any sponge growth ? Did you seed with real live rock/cryptic sponges? What kind of benefits were you expecting?
I had plenty of sponge growth and my rock is real rock from 12 years ago. And some straight from various places throughout the Caribbean and here in Florida.

just literally of no benefit. Macro algae’s and gha are much better options.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back