Magnesium is OUT OF CONTROL!, and low nutrients HELP!

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder with Fiji-24 Advanced Reef Sump beneath it. I run two felt filter socks, a Z-6 Bubble Magnus skimmer running 24/7 with a relatively dry skim, and a refugium with chaeto and a grow light on for 8 hours during the day. The GHA in my tank is out of control and I can't seem to grow any coralline algae. (I am planning to get a tuxedo urchin to control the GHA even though that will further hinder the coralline algae growth even if there was any.) The tank is relatively stable as it has been up and running for over a year. I haven't tested in a while, but I did today and realized that my magnesium was out of control. I even tested my Salifert magnesium test kit and it was spot on. Do you think the high magnesium and low nutrients are affecting my algae growth? My params are below...

Temperature: 80F
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: undetectable
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: undetectable
Alkalinity: 8.6
Phosphate: undetectable
Calcium: 480
Magnesium: 1680

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.52.33 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.52.45 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.52.55 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.53.05 PM.png

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about high magnesium, and nutrients are probably low because algae is consuming all of it. I would try to pick off as much algae as possible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve read that high mag is bad for inverts though. I have 3 large and 4 small narcissus snails, at what point does it become fatal?

Upvote 0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder with Fiji-24 Advanced Reef Sump beneath it. I run two felt filter socks, a Z-6 Bubble Magnus skimmer running 24/7 with a relatively dry skim, and a refugium with chaeto and a grow light on for 8 hours during the day. The GHA in my tank is out of control and I can't seem to grow any coralline algae. (I am planning to get a tuxedo urchin to control the GHA even though that will further hinder the coralline algae growth even if there was any.) The tank is relatively stable as it has been up and running for over a year. I haven't tested in a while, but I did today and realized that my magnesium was out of control. I even tested my Salifert magnesium test kit and it was spot on. Do you think the high magnesium and low nutrients are affecting my algae growth? My params are below...

Temperature: 80F
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: undetectable
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: undetectable
Alkalinity: 8.6
Phosphate: undetectable
Calcium: 480
Magnesium: 1680

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.52.33 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.52.45 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.52.55 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.53.05 PM.png
Perhaps your salinity is higher than you think it is.

Upvote 0

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag goes high at times and has not hurt any inverts…but you are getting false readings in your nutrients especially phosphate as the algae is consuming and feeding off of it

Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your high mag is not that bad, but could slow down snails. It would have nothing to do with algae growth.

One thought:
If you look close, the algae is just on your rock work, so the rock could be leaching phosphates.

That algae on your scape, including your fudge could be sucking in your phosphates and nitrates. That could lead them to be undetectable in your water column with test kits.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps your salinity is higher than you think it is.
YEP! I just recalibrated my refractometer, turns out it was way off...the specific gravity is 1.028! Is the best course of action to slowly replace it with RODI water or should I do a large change right now?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your high mag is not that bad, but could slow down snails. It would have nothing to do with algae growth.

One thought:
If you look close, the algae is just on your rock work, so the rock could be leaching phosphates.

That algae on your scape, including your fudge could be sucking in your phosphates and nitrates. That could lead them to be undetectable in your water column with test kits.
How do I get the rocks to stop leaching phosphates? Wait it out?

Upvote 0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEP! I just recalibrated my refractometer, turns out it was way off...the specific gravity is 1.028! Is the best course of action to slowly replace it with RODI water or should I do a large change right now?
I’d do it slowly over a few days. It’s about 10% of your water volume to replace with RODI.

Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t

Time to bring in a big cleanup grew… :)

Always had good experiences when buying from reef cleaners

What would you recommend for a CUC besides the narcissus snails and the tuxedo urchin I plan to get (or should I skip the urchin)?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend for a CUC besides the narcissus snails and the tuxedo urchin I plan to get (or should I skip the urchin)?
Check out reefcleaners.org for a cleaner package. Also, if using API tests it's time for an upgrade. Ammonia and nitrite tests aren't needed anymore.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MV17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out reefcleaners.org for a cleaner package. Also, if using API tests it's time for an upgrade. Ammonia and nitrite tests aren't needed anymore.
I use all salifert… and I will make sure to check out the packages!

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all salifert… and I will make sure to check out the packages!
By far cheaper than your LFS and great for diveristy.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get the rocks to stop leaching phosphates? Wait it out?

With no detectable phosphate in the water, the rocks may or may not have much phosphate on them, but there's nothing I would do.

I'd even consider adding some N and P (or more fish food) to avoid risking dinos.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back