Magnesium is very high and I am looking for the cause

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is wrong with 1520 magnesium . It’s just slightly high .
when my magnesium was crazy high every speck of algae disappeared. Coraline algae took a hit to .
It seams that the only solution for many or most problems is ( drumroll) water changes .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really leaning toward the salt mix. I’m on my second box of this brand but I just started testing magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity because I just started adding coral. I had my refractometer calibrated so I know that it is correct and I have been to four different LFS and they all say my salinity is 1.025.

Why not test error? As folks noted, the Red Sea kit gives folks lots of trouble with inaccurate readings.

You've posted values of 1800+, 1600+, and 1580. It is not moving around that much.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not test error? As folks noted, the Red Sea kit gives folks lots of trouble with inaccurate readings.

You've posted values of 1800+, 1600+, and 1580. It is not moving around that much.
True. The main reason I am thinking it is my salt mix is because I’ve had it tested at three different LFS’ and they were all very close to the same reading. Could that still be the Red Sea test kits because they all use the same test kit that I have?

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is wrong with 1520 magnesium . It’s just slightly high .
when my magnesium was crazy high every speck of algae disappeared. Coraline algae took a hit to .
It seams that the only solution for many or most problems is ( drumroll) water changes .
Okay, That makes me believe I have a bad test kit because I have really nice coral and great Coraline algae growth. I do water changes every Saturday. I usually do between 12 gallons and 15 gallons on a 32 gallon tank.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I found one of my tanks was testing off the chart for mag - around 1800 by my estimates. I verified my test kits. I have no idea how it got that and high and it's a mystery to me. I'm not a fan of high mag levels and found it can slow SPS growth although other reefers like it. IMO, high mag levels make it harder for calcifying corals to precipitate calcium.

Not trusting my salt mix I made my own with pure sea salt from the grocery store and just adding calcium and alk. Basically a water change with salt mix minus mag in small doses. SPS didnt care although some LPS got moody for a few days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back