Magnesium replacement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone received the replacement Magnesium reagents and or their Mag checker back from Hanna with the new reagents?

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Nope! I wonder if anyone has figured out a recipe to make this stuff work. @SaltwaterAq had a cool idea of putting 5ml of reagent a in instead of 4ml. Not sure if that's the solution/workaround for now. Anyone else have ideas?

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! I wonder if anyone has figured out a recipe to make this stuff work. @SaltwaterAq had a cool idea of putting 5ml of reagent a in instead of 4ml. Not sure if that's the solution/workaround for now. Anyone else have ideas?
The workaround for me is 4ml of A, but 1.1ml of B

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait, what? B is the tank water no?

Did you mean C?
Sorry i thought i posted a reply but i dont see it.. 4ml agent A followed by 5ml of sample. Zeroise then add 1.1ml of agent B...
Mix and test

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen anything either regarding the replacement reagents. I did reach out to Hanna instruments via email yesterday regarding this at [email protected]. I sent the serial number of my checker and noted I received the email from Hanna regarding the replacement reagents from several months ago and have not heard back. They responded and asked that I respond with the quantities I purchased in the link they provided. I replied back today. Waiting to see what happens

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
They actually just emailed me yesterday with a question about how many testers and how many reagents I originally ordered, so something might be happening soon.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Hanna Instruments,

I am on the aquarium team, here to address the Magnesium Checker issue.

I am posting this same message on various threads regarding the Magnesium Checker so that as many people as possible get the information.

First, here is an FAQ with answers:

1) What happened?
As many of you know, Hanna Instruments prides itself in accuracy. We do extensive R&D before releasing products – what happened with the Magnesium Checker was a unique combination of unexpected factors. Our manufacturing facility is in Romania, and shipments from Eastern Europe were delayed in the Spring due to events in that area. With this, the initial batch of Magnesium products were in cargo storage for longer than anticipated. While the cargo containers sat for extended periods in the Spring, the temperature in the containers increased. This resulted in longer than usual exposure to higher than usual temperatures, which in turn caused one of the reagents to expire early. The products passed R&D inspection on site, and we’ve never had them degrade in transit before, which is why we were surprised about the issue at first. And why we are grateful that users like yourselves reported it!

2) What did Hanna do to fix the products?
The issue was one reagent expiring early during extended high-temperature exposure in the cargo containers. To fix this, we were able to greatly improve the temperature stability of this reagent by reformulating it from a liquid to a powder. This means that Reagent B is now a powder for this product. Our other Checkers have a timer built in for the dissolution of the powder reagent, so we added that to the new Magnesium Checkers too. That is the only difference in devices, but because of that, we are sending everyone who purchased the initial version a new Checker with the timer built in!

3) Why has it taken so long?
Resolving this issue took several steps. First we had to reformulate Reagent B into a powder. Then we had to add the timer into the production process for the Checkers. Once those updates were made, we had to repackage all the previously produced items with the updated ones. And of course, we had to figure out the logistics of replacing these items both for customers such as yourselves, and bulk purchasers like LFSs and major websites. We also found new transport options to avoid extended international shipping delays in the future.

4) How is Hanna going to make this right for the people who already purchased?
We will send everyone who fills out this form: HI783 Marine Checker Reagent Issue Form free replacements for whatever Magnesium items (Checker and/or Extra Reagent Packages) were purchased. Please fill out all fields!

5) How do I know if I am in queue for the replacements after submitting the above form?
I receive all the form submissions. My apologies that there is not a confirmation, but once you hit submit I do receive it. We are on track to have all current form submissions fulfilled by the end of October, and new submissions as soon as possible thereafter.

Please see our official customer letter below for more details:

1664901872866.png

These Magnesium items will be available again from your LFS and online sources soon.
Thank you for your patience as we have resolved this issue!

All the Best,
Hanna Instruments

oreolk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my replacement from Hanna. Wow, it wasn’t just the reagents, but a whole new kit, reagents,checker, cuvettes. Too late for me to check it out. But way to go Hanna!

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just purchased the new kit with updated reagents. I'm wondering if it's accurate. So far, it's far off my normal mag tests, about 200 short of Red Sea.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the new kit with updated reagents. I'm wondering if it's accurate. So far, it's far off my normal mag tests, about 200 short of Red Sea.

i got my new kit as part of Hanna's replacement program with new reagents... it's always about 100 to 150 higher than any other test i've tried. Red Sea, Salifert, and Aquaforest all within 30ppm of testing the Fauna Marin standard but Hanna way higher. On my tank water they all say i'm around 1400 to 1420 ppm... Hanna is out in the 1500+ range....

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i got my new kit as part of Hanna's replacement program with new reagents... it's always about 100 to 150 higher than any other test i've tried. Red Sea, Salifert, and Aquaforest all within 30ppm of testing the Fauna Marin standard but Hanna way higher. On my tank water they all say i'm around 1400 to 1420 ppm... Hanna is out in the 1500+ range....
That's interesting. I'm the opposite, the Hanna reads 1275 and my Red Sea kit reads 1450.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back