Magnesium Super High in Newly Mixed Saltwater - Is it Safe to Use?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too......generally its known as low Mg and high potassium content salt and that is why this sounds weird..

How High is the Potassium?

I do not have anything to Test Potassium.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Few People are Saying to Mix the Salt Before Using It.

What is the Best Way to Go About Doing That?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A Few People are Saying to Mix the Salt Before Using It.

What is the Best Way to Go About Doing That?
I told you before and telling this again just take that whole bag and mix the whole thing as much as you can....

Cary Hover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1800, one guy at 2200-2400? Never heard of Mag that high. I use Red Sea Coral Pro Reef salt. I do 100 gallon water changes twice a month on my 450 and the mag levels are typically right around 1250 maybe 1300 in my mixed reef tank. I have never seen any articles or youtube videos saying 1800 is good and 1450 would be the highest I would go.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would doublecheck the salinity. And calibrate the refractometer.
To doublecheck the magnesium i would check that the Salifert tests are from different batches = different expire date.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the salinity and how are you measuring it?

Have these same kits (exact ones) read lower on previous batches of salt?

Are you certain you are using them correctly? Some people read syringes backward.

I ask because test kit error is more common than bad batches of salt, but both exist.

How did you make new salt water (amount of salt as a fraction of a bucket)?
you try mixing the buckets well before making salt, in case it is inhomogeneous?

There is no good way to lower the magnesium once it is in there.

Is it OK if it really is that high? Probably, but I'd prefer it to be lower. When people do treatments for bryopsis they sometimes get that high, and some notice that some creatures become lethargic.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would doublecheck the salinity. And calibrate the refractometer.
To doublecheck the magnesium i would check that the Salifert tests are from different batches = different expire date.

I Calibrate the Refractometer every time I use it with Refractometer Solutions NOT RO.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you certain you are using them correctly? Some people read syringes backward.

I ask because test kit error is more common than bad batches of salt, but both exist.

you try mixing the buckets well before making salt, in case it is inhomogeneous?

Is it OK if it really is that high? Probably, but I'd prefer it to be lower. When people do treatments for bryopsis they sometimes get that high, and some notice that some creatures become lethargic.

Salinity is 1.026 Measured with a Refractometer Calibrated with Salinity Solution. I do not use RO like most people do to Calibrate it.

Yes, I had one Bucket Left from the Last Bucket and it read 1455

I am using them Correctly.

I have been using Salifert for Years and Have Done a Million Tests so it is not User Error.

I have never had an Issue until now.

I know very few people use Tropic Marin Pro in the United States Due to High Price and Lack of Availability but unlike other Brands out there the Salt Does not move around. It is in a Bag and Tightly Sealed.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, not with a spoon but try to take out the whole salt bag and mix the bag by turning it over couple of times upside down. It will be heavy but it should work.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know people Raise with Tech-M for Bryopsis but

1. It is not long term
2. They are Dosing Magnesium Only so only that will be high. With the Mag High in the Salt I am even more worried at what else it high - Mainly Copper!

Why on earth do these companies put Copper in Salt and Food?

Everybody know that Copper Kills Coral.

One Bad Batch and Boom All your Corals will Die and there is nothing you can do at that Point.

That is what scares me the most is Copper or some other dangerous Metal being High in addition to the Magnesium being High.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saying it is Just the Magnesium that is too High How High is Safe.

I know people have it 1800 to 1900 but I just talked to somebody that overdosed Tech-M

He said his Magnesium was 2200 or 2400

All his Acros Died and everything else was Stressed he said.

At What Point is it where your Corals Die with High Magnesium and High Calcium.

Thanks for Responding Randy.

I am so worried. :(

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not with a spoon but try to take out the whole salt bag and mix the bag by turning it over couple of times upside down. It will be heavy but it should work.

Everyone I talked to said there is too much Salt in the Bucket and that would not do anything to Mix it Properly.

They said I would have to sit there for like a week taking out little scoops and mixing and re-mixing a million times over.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mg was at the correct level, you still wouldn't know if the copper level was too high. Unfortunately, we have to rely on the manufacturers to provide us with a quality product. Just the way it is...

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mg was at the correct level, you still wouldn't know if the copper level was too high. Unfortunately, we have to rely on the manufacturers to provide us with a quality product. Just the way it is...

I am Thinking it might not have been mixed properly at the factory.

If properly mixed the Mag would not be high.

But with the Mag being high that is a clue it might have other issues.

I Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity were all fine then I would not be worried about Copper.

But this High Mag Really Scares me as to what else is wrong too possibly?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone I talked to said there is too much Salt in the Bucket and that would not do anything to Mix it Properly.

They said I would have to sit there for like a week taking out little scoops and mixing and re-mixing a million times over.
Just take the bag out of the bucket and turn bag upside down couple of times.....thats it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way the salt needs to be mixed and that a heavier fraction settled out leaving only magnesium up top.

Keepers always blame a factory and never allow for skews IMO.

I realize the claim is no test error, but that's not taking into acct the posts that show the variances stated by different kits and procedural differences we cause among tests.

When we search out threads that show variance among kits not even expired we see why we don't chase params especially when the tank is fine. This chasing is far more common due to hundredths of pH variation, as told by a colorimetric kit where that reading is taken as gold, and the impact taken as certain. They feel any variance from 8.2 equals doom. The number one way to ease your concern and up tank enjoyment is to not test for magnesium after basic water changes. Let it be

Last edited:

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there is no way that the salt needs to be mixed and that a heavier fraction settled leaving only magnesium up top.

This whole thread is assuming the test used has zero error of reading, procedure etc. it's taking a single number with no comparative testing and just going with it.

The mag you have needs no adjusting because no salt mixes make lethal batches, they just vary.

I realize the claim is no test error, but that's not taking into acct the posts that show the variances stated by different kits and different physical differences we cause among tests.

When we search out threads that show variance among kits not even expired we see why we don't chase params especially when the tank is fine. This chasing is far more common due to hundredths of pH variation, as told by a colorimetric kit where that reading is taken as gold, and the impact taken as certain. They feel any variance from 8.1 equals doom.

I think its not just Mag which is at the top there will be other elements which can also be at the top without mixing but we dont know it as we can not test them. Also the kit seems to be working well as he already tested for another batch of same salt with good reading.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that one off test relate to the threads mentioned where people take several kits and get varied readings off the same sample? Live threads are running with that info using pretty good test brands. Worth a consider...

To take a test reading as infallible, with no comparative readings posted side by side etc is common for param concerning but impacts to the tank rarely occur, see myriad 1/100th pH variation threads in chem forum.

His reading could indeed be right, never hurts to verify. Is ok to compare test too, more than one kit.

Post pic of the reading and a side by side reading from another kit in same pic. Lfs will have alt test. The bryopsis history for this tank indicates high magnesium needs anyway the impact of true 1800 might be helpful.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/is-a-9-50-ph-bad.248160/#post-2917599

imagine if we took that reading (from a digital probe) as correct and let him react to it. his real ph would be six. if a digital probe is fallible, no reaction to a one off colorimetric reading is advised. I say verify your test, and if it is 1800 then enjoy the free bryopsis squelching.

Last edited:

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does that one off test relate to the threads mentioned where people take several kits and get varied readings off the same sample? Live threads are running with that info using pretty good test brands. Worth a consider...

To take a test reading as infallible, with no comparative readings posted side by side etc is common for param concerning but impacts to the tank rarely occur, see myriad 1/100th pH variation threads in chem forum.

His reading could indeed be right, never hurts to verify. Is ok to compare test too, more than one kit.

Post pic of the reading and a side by side reading from another kit in same pic. Lfs will have alt test. The bryopsis history for this tank indicates high magnesium needs anyway the impact of true 1800 might be helpful.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/is-a-9-50-ph-bad.248160/#post-2917599

imagine if we took that reading (from a digital probe) as correct and let him react to it. his real ph would be six. if a digital probe is fallible, no reaction to a one off colorimetric reading is advised. I say verify your test, and if it is 1800 then enjoy the free bryopsis squelching.

I think he believes his testkit is fine based on the fact that it is giving a reading of 1440 for another batch of salt from the same company.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back