Magnet for 3/4" acrylic to hold my Sicce XDC

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a dilemma.... in the last year ... I bought all new pumps, wavemakers... everything for this build. I even replaced the pump on the Reef Octopus skimmer. EVERYTHING is Sicce. I am using one of the Xsteam XDC wavemakers on the 90 right now and I love it.
Spidey sense told me to try to unused one on the new DT today. Boom - crash. The magnets are too weak to hold it. I tried my magnet from OctoAquatics - it came with my SHU. That sort of holds it. It will hold it in one position and if it moves even a little - crash - boom.
Sicce is no longer on this forum. I tried to email them - no response. I just sent them a DM on Insta.
I'm open to suggestions. This is slated to be a 100% Sicce build. I really do not want to jump manufacturers now ... nor do I want to spend another bucket of money on new wavemakers. Anyone know where I can get magnets strong enough to hold two wavemakers? Would I need to epoxy a magnet to the wavemaker inside the tank AND the outside or just find a really powerful one for the outside of the glass?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mighty magnets makes cleaners with very strong magnets.... Up to 4" thick
Maybe if you email them they can help you out

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, sicce claims 3/4” max for their wave maker power heads. Apparently not LOL. Odds are there’s enough on the inside of the tank to ‘grab’ onto so perhaps it’s just a more powerful external magnet required. You could try stacking magnets on the outside to see if that helps. KJ makes some strong neodymium ones that I have used for this purpose. Magnet mounts for the apex WAV will work on 1” acrylic, so you could buy one and repurpose it. Neither are cheap however.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from Sicce and K&J magnetics today.
Sicce suggested (and I feel stupid for not thinking of this myself) that I remove the anti vibration pad from the wavemaker. It makes sense because the anti vibration pad holds the wavemaker off of the tank side by almost 1/8" with 4 little bumpers. I'm not sure how this will impact vibration and noise once we are running but we shall see. I may also experiment by cutting the bumpers off so there is still some rubber or maybe something thinner that serves the same purpose?

K&J said that the reason the Octo Aquatics magnet would not hold it is because the magnet on the inside was too weak. Magnets need to be equal in strength. So, if I need to upgrade the magnets, I will need to epoxy a magnet to the wavemaker inside the tank and use a larger magnet outside of the tank.

@ca1ore you are right ... Sicce does say that... apparently, you just need to make modifications. I'll let you know how it goes. Good call on the WAV magnet set... I would not have thought of that. If I ultimately need to add magnets, it is still cheaper than new wavemakers.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K&J said that the reason the Octo Aquatics magnet would not hold it is because the magnet on the inside was too weak. Magnets need to be equal in strength. So, if I need to upgrade the magnets, I will need to epoxy a magnet to the wavemaker inside the tank and use a larger magnet outside of the tank.
So, KJ told me the same thing a few years ago. I found it to be only partly right. As long as there is enough metal in the inside magnet, a stronger outside one will help ..... there will just be limitations.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back