Magnetic stirrer to keep saltwater tank mixed and clean

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anyone who does auto water changes uses a DIY magnetic stirrer to keep the saltwater tank mixed.
Think it is a more efficient than using a pump (takes less energy). Requires no wires in the tank, only a small bar (PTFE or plastic) with magnets in it. It generates a lot of movements at the bottom of the tank which is where it is needed the most?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure a magnetic stirrer would be more efficient, on a scale for reefing (I am assuming over 10 gallons). Unless you are mixing 1 gallon at a time?

You would also have to pour in salt quite slowly to prevent blocking the stirrer. Magnetic stirrers do not have much "torque".

edit:

Oh, you are saying to just keep some flow within pre-mixed water?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these magnetic stirrers multiple times over the years, but not in the reefing. I guess it really comes down to how much saltwater you are mixing. If you are doing small amounts (1-2 gallons) I imagine you could use them effectively. If you are doing large volumes I am not sure how practical it would be. Also keep in mind the container would have to sit on top of the base that powers the unit.

OP
OP
B

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure a magnetic stirrer would be more efficient, on a scale for reefing (I am assuming over 10 gallons). Unless you are mixing 1 gallon at a time?

You would also have to pour in salt quite slowly to prevent blocking the stirrer. Magnetic stirrers do not have much "torque".

Where in industry are large scale magnetic stirrers used? (Because surely it would be, if it was more efficient than pumps)
Depends. If it needs to sit in a tank for weeks. Does it matter that it mixes it slow? If you drop in the salt, how much salt is left once it reaches the bottom? In my case this was only a small layer which wouldn't even be there if the mixer would be active. At least not for long. And pumps require maintenance etc. Magnetic stirrer wouldn't really because it's not coming into direct contact with the salt.

OP
OP
B

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these magnetic stirrers multiple times over the years, but not in the reefing. I guess it really comes down to how much saltwater you are mixing. If you are doing small amounts (1-2 gallons) I imagine you could use them effectively. If you are doing large volumes I am not sure how practical it would be. Also keep in mind the container would have to sit on top of the base that powers the unit.
Would indeed need to sit on top of something that would take the load. (But most mixing stations are already sitting on top of something I noticed on most pictures) I'm thinking about 30 gallons which I need to mix every month. But it wouldn't matter if it takes an hour to get it mixed. And I'm sure it would be mixed within 10 minutes when mixing 30 gallons. So for me personally it sounds like a much easier solution compared to making holes and connecting pumps which can start to leak over time.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think they would be very effective at mixing / circulating more than a gallon of water, if that.. drop a small power head in your mixing container and call it a day ;)

OP
OP
B

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my tank which is a 20g tank. Will place a stirrer underneath and let you know the result. In a small bucket, it's able to create a tornado so I guess it would work in a 20g just fine.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back