Magnificent Foxface Swimming Issues

willisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had a magnificent foxface for many years and he is a large fish.

Today I discovered him lodged near a cup that I was using to make a ricordea attached with his head down apearing to be dead. I noticed he was still breathing and swimming with his front fins. I dislodged him with my hand and he was able to semi-swim off to the other side of the tank where he lodged himself against a leather as shown in the picture and video below

Picture:
Eg0taZl.jpg

Video:
kkxwuAR.mp4

When I dislodged him from here he was able to swim semi-normally across the tank before eventually finding his way to a cave to hide and lay in a strange upside-down or laying position.

He was completely normal earlier today when I fed and this has come out of nowhere. Does this look like possible injury or internal parasites?

I know foxface can get super weird and scared so I'm sort of hoping possibly he and my big blue tang had a scuffle and this may be a scared reaction.

Any help or next steps is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Willis

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I have had a magnificent foxface for many years and he is a large fish.

Today I discovered him lodged near a cup that I was using to make a ricordea attached with his head down apearing to be dead. I noticed he was still breathing and swimming with his front fins. I dislodged him with my hand and he was able to semi-swim off to the other side of the tank where he lodged himself against a leather as shown in the picture and video below

Picture:
Eg0taZl.jpg

Video:
kkxwuAR.mp4

When I dislodged him from here he was able to swim semi-normally across the tank before eventually finding his way to a cave to hide and lay in a strange upside-down or laying position.

He was completely normal earlier today when I fed and this has come out of nowhere. Does this look like possible injury or internal parasites?

I know foxface can get super weird and scared so I'm sort of hoping possibly he and my big blue tang had a scuffle and this may be a scared reaction.

Any help or next steps is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Willis
My guess as these guys startle easily, may have crashed into object. other would be obvious condition but pics are hard to yell as it is Dark Blue. Please repost under white lighting and a video may be helpful
How is it breathing . . . . normal or labored ?

OP
OP
W

willisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess as these guys startle easily, may have crashed into object. other would be obvious condition but pics are hard to yell as it is Dark Blue. Please repost under white lighting and a video may be helpful
How is it breathing . . . . normal or labored ?
I have turned the lights out to allow him to try to de-stress.

Hopefully the link the the video I have taken will show this way

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have turned the lights out to allow him to try to de-stress.

Hopefully the link the the video I have taken will show this way

A pic under brief white light will help.
While this method does calm them, fish looks moribund which is similar to comatose and may or may not make it and based on its position, does not have time until morning. Raising air with air stone will help but not resolve.

OP
OP
W

willisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic under brief white light will help.
While this method does calm them, fish looks moribund which is similar to comatose and may or may not make it and based on its position, does not have time until morning. Raising air with air stone will help but not resolve.
Would you suggest airstone directly near him in his current state?

I have an acclimation box i can place him in if i can catch him. I can put lots of airstones in the sump

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would you suggest airstone directly near him in his current state?

I have an acclimation box i can place him in if i can catch him. I can put lots of airstones in the sump
Direct air stone in the tank..... location is not important as the bubbles breaking the surface for air exchange

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back