Maintaining Alkalinity at high level (12 dKH) - Accelerated Coral Growth?

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea’s research into the long term physiological demands of SPS, LPS & Soft Corals in the reef aquarium has shown that enhanced coloration and accelerated growth require significantly different water conditions.

Just like their Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, when mixed at 1.025 SG, it brings the Alk to 11.8 - 12.2 dKH, which Sharon Ram (Chief Scientist @ Red Sea) claimed a level that is good for accelerated coral growth.

gu79zvY.jpg

What's your take on this elevated Alk @ 12.6 dKH? Have you had experience in the past raising it and maintaining the level of Alkalinity at high level (12 dKH) accelerates the growth of coral? or on contrary, some folks mentioned that they've experienced RTN or burnt tips?

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my tank when ever it goes above 10dKH I always start watching some burnt tips and RTN.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a ULNS system, high alkalinity will result in burnt tips. In higher nutrient tanks you can get away with higher alk to spur growth. That's pretty high alk number for SPS though.

@KingBlingTX

These are the recommended Alkalinity param for Accelerated Growth (not coloration).
11.8 - 12.2 is Alkalinity param for LPS.
12.3 - 12.7 is Alkalinity param for SPS.

I understand we can't choose both accelerated growth and coloration .. but logically, you can accelerate growth then once you're happy with the growth of your corals, slowly bring the Alkalinity down to coloration.

At my tank when ever it goes above 10dKH I always start watching some burnt tips and RTN.

@Alfrareef, ULNS? What's your No3?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11.8 - 12.2 is Alkalinity param for LPS.
12.3 - 12.7 is Alkalinity param for SPS.
where are those numbers from? They should also have recommendations for nutrient levels as well.

Heres something everyone should love. Its not about the levels(just maintain NSW levels IMO) just how to get it into the corals.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...light-water-motion-by-dana-riddle-macna-2016/

I understand we can't choose both accelerated growth and coloration .. but logically, you can accelerate growth then once you're happy with the growth of your corals, slowly bring the Alkalinity down to coloration.
Dana Is suggesting its light not alk that determines color(minor trace arguments aside, again just keeping nsw levels)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, higher ALK will cause faster growth but with that faster growth, comes a much larger demand for nutrients. Without the extra nutrients, the SPS, which is trying to grow, will suffer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your take on this elevated Alk @ 12.6 dKH? Have you had experience in the past raising it and maintaining the level of Alkalinity at high level (12 dKH) accelerates the growth of coral? or on contrary, some folks mentioned that they've experienced RTN or burnt tips?

I think it is fairly well established in the scientific literature and in reefers experience that alkalinity can be the limiting factor is skeletal growth of corals.

If nutrients are not adequate, some coral skeletons may outgrow their ability to grow their tissue, and that may be why some corals get burnt tips in low nutrient, high alk settings.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley by nutrients, were you referring to No3? if so, what is the acceptable level of nutrients for high Alk level?

Apology, I think I got the answer. please ignore.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley by nutrients, were you referring to No3? if so, what is the acceptable level of nutrients for high Alk level?

Apology, I think I got the answer. please ignore.

Nitrate and phosphate. For higher alk, maybe above 0.2-0.5 ppm nitrate and ~0.01 or above for phosphate. If your kit cannot read this low and you get 0, that doesn't mean nutrients are too low.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@potatocouch
Hi, its great to watch you asking such great questions in so many threads. Clearly the wheels are turning. So I thought you might be interested in this.
Its been my observation many try to increase availability of the alkalinity in their reefs to promote coral growth, (nutrients as well)... But it may actually help to understand the mechanisms of how the coral actually process those at natural sea water levels.
I had been re-reading and re-researching the subject of chemistry and light and flow on coral biology when I had the privilege to attend this talk.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...light-water-motion-by-dana-riddle-macna-2016/

fwiw the most amazing and successful SPS reefs I have seen in person used Instant ocean salt, and a calcium reactor.
The only other one that really stands out, used natural seawater and two part.

Julian Bastidas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like other hobbies, patience is key, I wouldn't try to rush growth, if is true that having it high promotes it. I always try to keep alk about 9

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like other hobbies, patience is key, I wouldn't try to rush growth, if is true that having it high promotes it. I always try to keep alk about 9

Nah, I get that @Julian Bastidas but the point I'm trying to make is Red Sea program about Accelerated Coral Growth.

I'm sure Red Sea wouldn't come out with that program without any extensive research.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I get that @Julian Bastidas but the point I'm trying to make is Red Sea program about Accelerated Coral Growth.

I'm sure Red Sea wouldn't come out with that program without any extensive research.
unless they wanted to sell stuff. And they did do their research.
it is the exact same science Randy and Dana explain and every other coral or reef scientist. See Balling Triton Zeovite. Red sea calls It "program", triton prefers "method" , so does Balling, and Zeo likes "system" etc.
Its all doing the same thing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back