Maintaining Copper Levels

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my QT is up and running. Got fish on Wednesday, last night I got to 2.03 on the Hanna.

If I just replace evap, will the level drop? I saw some absorption happening in the beginning but it seems to have stopped/slowed. Will there be other reasons it falls or should it be relatively constant assuming I’m not removing water?

Thanks!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is absorbed about .02 every 3 days... I am sure every tank is a bit different when it comes to this in regards to what you all have in the tank. If you added sand/rocks then you can expect it to drop a lot more... (Mine drops .18 in 4 days) Hope this helps.

OP
OP
PSU4ME

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I just have the standard pvc, ph, job filter.

I hate to be burning through reagent every 2 days or so!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya, I have to test on 3 tanks at a time so I go through a packet of reagent every round these guys come through. But its one of those things... You have to test and there isnt much you can do to get around knowing your numbers.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use CopperSafe, and the therapeutic level is 1.5... I go 1.75-1.95 so I’m not caught off guard by some absorption (I do use rock and sand). What type of copper are you running?

But to answer your question, with what you are doing I think that once you see any absorption slow you can also slow down your Hanna-checks to every 3-5 days. (Top off is RODI— “no” copper— but I’m sure you know that.)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to compensate for evaporation. Copper doesn’t leave the tank with the water that evaporates. If you have slight absorption just compensate for that. As mentioned above staying .10 above your target is generally safe to allow some “wiggle room” for things like absorption etc. I shoot for 2.0-2.25ppm.

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use CopperSafe, and the therapeutic level is 1.5... I go 1.75-1.95 so I’m not caught off guard by some absorption (I do use rock and sand). What type of copper are you running?

But to answer your question, with what you are doing I think that once you see any absorption slow you can also slow down your Hanna-checks to every 3-5 days. (Top off is RODI— “no” copper— but I’m sure you know that.)
So you do not put copper in the RODI top off water?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Top off water is just straight RODI— since that is the only thing that has evaporated. (The only reason to add additional Copper is if you have had something like rock or sand in there, and your TESTING shows Copper levels are falling through absorption, and you are getting close to falling below your target therapeutic level.)

Bama41Georgia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Top off water is just straight RODI— since that is the only thing that has evaporated. (The only reason to add additional Copper is if you have had something like rock or sand in there, and your TESTING shows Copper levels are falling through absorption, and you are getting close to falling below your target therapeutic level.)
Thank you so much and when I do a water change the new water needs to be 2.5ppm to math the tank correct

Back