Maintaining Sterile RODI Water Supply

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know if there are any preventive measures one can take to ensure the sanitary integrity of the RODI water that's being produced.

Is flushing the membrane and all filters the way to go? Would it be helpful to use a UV sterilizer post DI just to be safe?

I know that everyone's supply water is different. Any experience or lessons learned would be helpful.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
City water is already disinfected so I dont think a uv unit would be of much use.
I just flush all for 15 minutes. I also have a stand alone tds meter that I use to insure the tds meter on the ro unite is 0.
I calibrate it with a tds standard solution.
This has worked for me with no isuues.
There is no way to calibrate a fixed tds meter at least not on my brs 4 stage unit.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the industrial world, we store the rodi in large plastic tanks then pump it from the tank through the building loop and back to the tank.
At each drop leg to a place of use there is a uv light along with a uv light at the tank.
This is to prevent any bacterial growth in any stagnant areas.

Depending on your style of use and storage, you may or may not want to use one.

I only have a 55 gallon reef tank, so I prefer to make rodi in a tank a day or two before I mix the salt in it.
After I use the mix, I will make some 1.019 sg for Phyto culture harvesting, then flush and wipe out the tank with paper towels, then let it air dry until the next time I do a water change.

For people that store their rodi all the time, as long as the piping is not clear or exposed to excessive heat and any sunlight, they should be fine.

There really isn’t any need to use any uv before or after production of rodi water in our hobby unless you have a really special setup.

Best thing to do for a smaller setup is to install a bypass to the rodi membrane and flush the cartridges for a couple minutes after every use and try to not let the system sit for more than a week without using it.

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the industrial world, we store the rodi in large plastic tanks then pump it from the tank through the building loop and back to the tank.
At each drop leg to a place of use there is a uv light along with a uv light at the tank.
This is to prevent any bacterial growth in any stagnant areas.

Depending on your style of use and storage, you may or may not want to use one.

I only have a 55 gallon reef tank, so I prefer to make rodi in a tank a day or two before I mix the salt in it.
After I use the mix, I will make some 1.019 sg for Phyto culture harvesting, then flush and wipe out the tank with paper towels, then let it air dry until the next time I do a water change.

For people that store their rodi all the time, as long as the piping is not clear or exposed to excessive heat and any sunlight, they should be fine.

There really isn’t any need to use any uv before or after production of rodi water in our hobby unless you have a really special setup.

Best thing to do for a smaller setup is to install a bypass to the rodi membrane and flush the cartridges for a couple minutes after every use and try to not let the system sit for more than a week without using it.

Thanks. This is a great answer. It's the stagnant water sitting in the canisters that concerns me the most.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great question.
I feel as though the rodi unit being installed so as to not being exposed to any sunlight and over...say....85*f, along with frequent use would be fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back