Make your own DIY Frozen Reef Chili! We created a recipe! | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's finally here! For those of you following along, a while ago Ryan and I did a livestream DIY Fish Food video and promised to come back and make a full recipe that everyone can follow...

TODAY IS THE DAY!

We recently added our own BRS line of fish and coral foods, so with them we made DIY Frozen Reef Chili. The recipe consists of 5 different blends that you can use to cater to your own tank's needs!

DIY Frozen Reef Chili
-Primary Protein Blend
-Herbivore Blend
-Small Fish Blend
-Food Nutritional Supplements
-Coral Blend

Check out how we make food here at BRS and have fun making your own!!

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say thanks to BRS for putting out content that is informative and helpful. This is my first time posting on a thread of any kind, so please go easy on me. :D

I have always wanted to make my own frozen fish food instead of purchasing it from a LFS. My biggest concern is the Sodium triphosphate found in frozen seafood. Does anyone have information on weather Sodium triphosphate would have a negative effect on a reef tank? Are there frozen seafood brands that don't have Sodium triphosphate? I have struggled with this for years and always end up purchasing Rod's.

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the fish considered for the small foods in this example?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say thanks to BRS for putting out content that is informative and helpful. This is my first time posting on a thread of any kind, so please go easy on me. :D

I have always wanted to make my own frozen fish food instead of purchasing it from a LFS. My biggest concern is the Sodium triphosphate found in frozen seafood. Does anyone have information on weather Sodium triphosphate would have a negative effect on a reef tank? Are there frozen seafood brands that don't have Sodium triphosphate? I have struggled with this for years and always end up purchasing Rod's.
Welcome to R2R!

I too am curious about this. This is some sort of preservative, right?

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I too am curious about this. This is some sort of preservative, right?
Yes it is a preservative. I found shrimp and scallops at whole foods that don't have the sodium triphosphate. I think the fisherman that catch the shrimp spray it on shortly after they are caught. A YouTube reefer "Fish of hex" discusses how his homemade fish food, which is similar to the BRS recipe was causing increased phosphate levels in his tank. He said he will rinse all of the ingredients to reduce the phosphate added to his tank.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my self made food based on the video and must agree it is much easier to feed not using water in the 'chilli' . One side effect I have noticed is increase in algae in all my tanks with the new formula. I am guessing it is because of the increased nutrition. I have to cut back on the amount I am feeding, but all my fish and corals seem to love it. My next quest is to find a blade for my food processor that can cut larger chucks to feed my eels.

As always I love what BRS does.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice one.. love the comment about not using the wifes.. blender... I tend to wait till she is off on a break for few days.. it smells up the house quite a bit..

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum when I tried making my own baby food (yup fish) my eldest stopped eating! I went back to the muck in glass jars.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back