Makeover of 90gal reef in school library

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am a tank caretaker at our college and we are going to give this tank a makeover. It looks a little bare right now because of an emergency situation last summer, so we basically started from scratch (livestock wise). Otherwise, the tank has been there for at least 5 years. A professor kindly purchased a new aqueon black pine stand for us to replace the current stand which has seen better days. I also purchased black window tint to apply to the back of the stand when we make the transfer. Since this is at school, when we transfer the tank, they are going to do some maintenance on the carpets as well.

So I have a question, what is my best option for painting the tank trim black to match the stand? Unfortunately we cannot spray paint in the library. I would consider moving the tank outside for a paint job, but we wanted to avoid having to disconnect all the plumbing and just avoid unnecessary moving in general. Our plan on transfer day is to just move all the livestock and rocks into buckets with bubblers, shift the tank over so the carpet guys can do their job, and then put the tank back in its spot on the new stand.

I was also concerned about the stability of this tank stand, but after reading a bit online, looks like it will hold up. I would not purchase this for my personal set up, but it was a donation so we gotta work with what we have! (Professor paid $240 at a local shop)

lib tank 1.jpg pine stand.jpg

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am a tank caretaker at our college and we are going to give this tank a makeover. It looks a little bare right now because of an emergency situation last summer, so we basically started from scratch (livestock wise). Otherwise, the tank has been there for at least 5 years. A professor kindly purchased a new aqueon black pine stand for us to replace the current stand which has seen better days. I also purchased black window tint to apply to the back of the stand when we make the transfer. Since this is at school, when we transfer the tank, they are going to do some maintenance on the carpets as well.

So I have a question, what is my best option for painting the tank trim black to match the stand? Unfortunately we cannot spray paint in the library. I would consider moving the tank outside for a paint job, but we wanted to avoid having to disconnect all the plumbing and just avoid unnecessary moving in general. Our plan on transfer day is to just move all the livestock and rocks into buckets with bubblers, shift the tank over so the carpet guys can do their job, and then put the tank back in its spot on the new stand.

I was also concerned about the stability of this tank stand, but after reading a bit online, looks like it will hold up. I would not purchase this for my personal set up, but it was a donation so we gotta work with what we have! (Professor paid $240 at a local shop)

lib tank 1.jpg pine stand.jpg
Tape and cover the glass. Use a brush or roller to paint over. Be sure to sand it before painting. I think you can remove the trim as well. Take it off, sand, paint.

OP
OP
Ancarol2421

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do the sanding and taping for sure. I'm not sure if the bottom trim is removable, I think its part of the structure of the tank. (Can't see it until we pull this tank off of this current stand since it sits inside of the stand).

Any paint recommendations? Trim feels like a plastic that is made to look like wood.

Thanks so much for your response!

OP
OP
Ancarol2421

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! We finished the remodel a few weeks ago. We used the pine stand with a few reinforcements, painted the trim black carefully with a brush, and added a black backing. Replaced some T5 bulbs too. New plumbing for the sump since the new stand stood about 11inches shorter than the last. Cord management with a power strip with switches. Almost looks new! Added some fish (clowns, pin tail wrasse) a few days ago that were in quarantine, a foxface will be done with quarantine next week and will be added soon. No leaks or any concerns, tank is doing great. Thanks for your help!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back