Making a black box into fuge light? Can it be done?

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys so I have a spare black box sitting at home with very little use on it and I am in need of a refugium light. I would like to change out some of the diodes to make it more effective for growing algae. What diodes would I change? And what spectrum should I be replacing them with?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys so I have a spare black box sitting at home with very little use on it and I am in need of a refugium light. I would like to change out some of the diodes to make it more effective for growing algae. What diodes would I change? And what spectrum should I be replacing them with?
You could keep the blues, and remove the white and greens and replace them with reds, try to shoot for the 642-660 range for the reds, the blues try to shoot for 429-455. I believe the black boxes come with 450's or 460's blues already so you should be good. This is the spectral graph for the Kessil H380 from BRSTV Investigates, and the H380 seems to be the gold standard in refugium lighting right now, so I'd say try to match this as close as possible.
Kessil H380.png

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs_mcjones is dead on but that is probably more work than it is worth. As MaiReef stated, the black box will work as is with more white channel. Ideal spectrum might be nice, but the black box will be able to provide more than enough light to grow macroalgae adequately.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back