Making a comeback

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Just moved into our new home, and I finally have room for big tank again!

Once our old house sells I'm going to start renovation on my basement man cave. The big tank will eventually be going down there.

I'm looking to get another medium sized tank set up now, the biocube I have now is just too darn small and the LED's in it I think are the reason I had so much trouble with corals.

Once I find the set up I want I'll be fast tracking that set up. My biocube has been up for roughly 4 years and has been on cruise control more or less the entire time. I have my old clown fish going on 14 years old now, and an ORA Orchid Dottyback. Live rock, and a ton of hair and algae lol.

Looking to get something in 60-90 gallon range set up. Anyone have anything for sale?

Hows everyone doing? Any old schoolers still left?

SomethingfishyPKNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Just moved into our new home, and I finally have room for big tank again!

Once our old house sells I'm going to start renovation on my basement man cave. The big tank will eventually be going down there.

I'm looking to get another medium sized tank set up now, the biocube I have now is just too darn small and the LED's in it I think are the reason I had so much trouble with corals.

Once I find the set up I want I'll be fast tracking that set up. My biocube has been up for roughly 4 years and has been on cruise control more or less the entire time. I have my old clown fish going on 14 years old now, and an ORA Orchid Dottyback. Live rock, and a ton of hair and algae lol.

Looking to get something in 60-90 gallon range set up. Anyone have anything for sale?

Hows everyone doing? Any old schoolers still left?
I have a nice rimless cube that's 24x24x18 drilled with a h2overflow installed. It's a nice tank. Welcome back. The tanks in poughkeepsie if your interested

OP
OP
A

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice rimless cube that's 24x24x18 drilled with a h2overflow installed. It's a nice tank. Welcome back. The tanks in poughkeepsie if your interested

That sounds almost exactly like what I'm looking for. Can you send me some photos please? If the stand for the tank is for sale too please include photos of those.

[email protected]

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs are strange. Sometimes it seems like everyone has great success with them except me, lol. I went back to T5 for my last tank (currently tankless) and was pretty happy. It seems like everyone these days is in love with ultra blue LED lighting, can't stand it myself. What are you thinking you'll use on this new tank?

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back. Some of us old school Hudson valley reef keepers still around. You should come to the welcome back meeeting on February 10th. Someone there may have what your looking for. More people the merrier

OP
OP
A

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs are strange. Sometimes it seems like everyone has great success with them except me, lol. I went back to T5 for my last tank (currently tankless) and was pretty happy. It seems like everyone these days is in love with ultra blue LED lighting, can't stand it myself. What are you thinking you'll use on this new tank?

I tried the knock off LED route and it was ok, nothing spectacular. My original reef had T5’s, that worked great. My 180 Mixed reef was awesome with 250 Halides.

This 60ish Gallon tank I’m either going with a higher end LED fixture with proven results (Radion/Kessil), or I might go back to T5’s. I do still have a lumenbrite pendant and 250 watt electronic halide ballast, but I would prefer to keep power consumption to a minimum.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always been resistant to LEDs. I still have MH LumenBrights over my 90. My oldest tank is my 20 gallon long nano. I’ve had all kinds of used lights over it, then bought Matt’s Reef Breeders LED. It’s nothing fancy, but I have grown to like it. I have it high off this shallow tank and it spreads well. You can’t fine tune the spectrum much. It’s basically white or blue.
I also put a WavePoint light in the hood for my 14 gallon Biocube. I got tired of buying bulbs. I only keep mushrooms in that tank so it works.
I’m considering a Radion or a Kessil sometime this year for my 90. I think I’m ready for the switch, although I might buy one and keep one of my MH pendants to see if I can really make the complete switch to LED.
Did you go with the Kessil?

OP
OP
A

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you check out par numbers on Kessil lights. They cost the same, and have significantly lower par than you see with lights like Radeon, Hydra 26/52, etc. You'll have real trouble with higher par Tenius getting them to color up in deeper tanks.

Radeons are nice but you're paying for the name. I've seen bottom to top sps tanks with Reef Breeders Photo, Noopsyche K7's,Cheapo Black Boxes, etc. So many ways to skin a cat lighting wise. I did a ton of research before pulling the trigger on lighting.

Mark I have a lumenbrite pendant and (2) working 250 Watt Halide Icecap E-ballasts if you are ever looking for halide equipment. We can work out a trade for some frags when you're back up and running the way you want to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up settling on a Noopsyche K7 ProII, mounted in an Aquaticlife T5 Hybrid Fixture.

it's as close to 14k-20K Metal Halide i've seen without going halide, and I still get to turn the blues up at the end of the photoperiod for the fluorescence.

Assuming the lights continue on as they have been doing, I will be doing these same lights over the 300. I have the Apex Par Meter, but everything has been growing ridiculously well so I haven't even bothered checking par numbers. In a few months I'm going to try a couple of the harder to keep Acro Tenius Species and I will use the par meter then to dial in their placement.

Back