Making apex commands based on loss of internet connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it was possible to program an outlet based on whether or not the apex has internet connectivity. As of right now I use the netgear gaming adapter to get wifi to my apex. The problem is that if for any reason I lose internet connection I usually have to reboot the netgear in order to have it pick up the signal again.

I would like to set it up so that the apex recognizes when it doesnt have internet connect at which point it cycles the power to the outlet that has the netgear plugged into it then allows a 5 min period for internet to be connected.... that way it doesnt just keep cycling on and off once it does it the first time.

Is this possible right now, or am I just dreaming?

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could use a code something like this on the outlet for the netgear

If Power EB* off then off
if power eb* ON then on
delay 005 then ON

i think that's how the code would read but you may have to play with it some to get it exactly right.

I will see if i can come up with the exact code because I don't think thats right either but its in the right gist of what you are looking to do i think

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt that referring to the power on the eb8? or does eb refer to the ethernet port? I think I can figure out a program but dont know how/if there is a recognized line for ethernet. I tried typing in ethernet, internet, cat5, and none of them gave me a drop down menu so I assume they're not acknowledged.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good question. However, I don't think there is such availability in the Apex...

There is a work around however. Fusion can detect if your apex is unreachable. You can get one of those wifi outlet devices and power cycle your wifi game dongle... I would also set up port forwarding to really make sure the Apex is out of reach due to the wifi dongle because as we know Fusion has incorrectly reported apex's connection status before. And it seems like this issue keeps coming back once in a while.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this wifi outlet device you speak of?

And I know its not fusion messing with me because when it happens usually I go over to my apex and one of the lights on the gaming adapter is either red or off.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay

you want page 57 of the Comprehensive user manual
https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf

I am assuming you have the gaming adapter plugged into a plug on your eb8.

So the code would read for that outlet

If Power Apex OFF 000 then OFF
If Power Apex ON 000 then ON
Defer 002:00 Then ON

or

If Power Apex ON 002 then ON

what this should do is when the APEX loses power it will turn off that outlet then when power is restored to the apex it will defer for 2 minutes and turn that plug back on.

I am sure the programming wizards could tell you if I am exactly right or not and how to maybe do it without one of those lines of code

My gaming adapter always had to be rebooted after a power loss, the router would not be up by the time it finished booting and then it would just sit there with no signal.

If you are sporadically just loosing internet connectivity and not power then the above code won't help. The only method I could suggest then would be an oscillate command on the gaming adapter plug to power cycle that plug every few hours, but that would be hard on the adapter I would think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay

you want page 57 of the Comprehensive user manual
https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf

I am assuming you have the gaming adapter plugged into a plug on your eb8.

So the code would read for that outlet

If Power Apex ON 000 then ON
Defer 002:00 Then ON

or

If Power Apex ON 002 then ON

what this should do is when the APEX loses power it will turn off that outlet then when power is restored to the apex it will defer for 2 minutes and turn that plug back on.

I am sure the programming wizards could tell you if I am exactly right or not and how to maybe do it without one of those lines of code

My gaming adapter always had to be rebooted after a power loss, the router would not be up by the time it finished booting and then it would just sit there with no signal.

If you are sporadically just loosing internet connectivity and not power then the above code won't help. The only method I could suggest then would be an oscillate command on the gaming adapter plug to power cycle that plug every few hours, but that would be hard on the adapter I would think.

Ok thanks, I guess this should help for most of the cases. But theres still the random internet drops I get every so often. that I need to address which is why I was hoping to just go off of internet access command.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google "wifi outlet". About $20

Ok. It seems this may be my only option unfortunately. Then whenever Im not getting any connection on my apex fusion hopefully the wifi plug has a connection to allow me to cycle the power.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can setup Heartbeat on Fusion to alert you if your Apex loses connection to the Fusion servers as well. Only issue is that if you are not home to correct the issue then there isn't a way to do it remotely. So it would be purely notification, I don't know of anything off the shelf that would reset something based on internet connection, I'm sure someone who likes to DIY electronics and has some software/coding experience could do it though.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to jump in here, I'm having a similar issue. Living in FL we get storms that will sometimes bump the power and cause the internet to go down. My apex classic will not reconnect to the internet without a full restart(I.e. Going through the menu on the control unit). This makes it very difficult for me when I'm gone for extended times and I have to try and talk my wife through the menu.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but this is irritating problem with the money that is spent on this system. All of my other internet based tools reconnect with no issue. Is this something that is different with the new Apex system or is the a code that can be used ?

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest and simplest way IMO is to put the Apex behind an UPS. The UPS protects against the power loss in a short period of time. More importantly is the power glitch or surge protection. This is the one that causes the Apex to get confused or go into a strange state most of the time. the UPS is less than $100 nowadays....a good investment! From what you said, I guess you have an apex classic

Just want to jump in here, I'm having a similar issue. Living in FL we get storms that will sometimes bump the power and cause the internet to go down. My apex classic will not reconnect to the internet without a full restart(I.e. Going through the menu on the control unit). This makes it very difficult for me when I'm gone for extended times and I have to try and talk my wife through the menu.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but this is irritating problem with the money that is spent on this system. All of my other internet based tools reconnect with no issue. Is this something that is different with the new Apex system or is the a code that can be used ?

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically in my experience the APEX reboots faster than the router, so a UPC on the router is probably your better solution, even better would be the Apex head unit(with the external power adapter they sell) AND the Router on a UPS. The second option would allow the APEX to notify you of power loss on the EB8 as soon as it happened.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting you said that. I now have the router/modem and the Apex base behind the UPS, but for a long time I didn't put the router /modem behide an UPS and I power cycle them daily using a mechanical timer. The Apex never had an issue....:)

Basically in my experience the APEX reboots faster than the router, so a UPC on the router is probably your better solution, even better would be the Apex head unit(with the external power adapter they sell) AND the Router on a UPS. The second option would allow the APEX to notify you of power loss on the EB8 as soon as it happened.

David Vondrasek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it was possible to program an outlet based on whether or not the apex has internet connectivity. As of right now I use the netgear gaming adapter to get wifi to my apex. The problem is that if for any reason I lose internet connection I usually have to reboot the netgear in order to have it pick up the signal again.

I would like to set it up so that the apex recognizes when it doesnt have internet connect at which point it cycles the power to the outlet that has the netgear plugged into it then allows a 5 min period for internet to be connected.... that way it doesnt just keep cycling on and off once it does it the first time.

Is this possible right now, or am I just dreaming?

Im have the same issue.. Living in the country I have to reboot the router once in a while. Did you find a solution????

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im have the same issue.. Living in the country I have to reboot the router once in a while. Did you find a solution????

I got the apex wifi... that was the only solution I found.

If you just want to cycle your router every so often you can put it on a digital timed outlet to go off for 1 minute every night in the early am hours.

When I put up this, I was looking for an internal solution through the apex programming.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back