Making aquarium resolutions for the New Year: What are your plans for 2023?

What are your aquarium resolutions for 2023?

• Regular water testing

Votes: 88 33.2%
  • Regular water changes

Votes: 71 26.8%
  • Regular equipment maintenance

Votes: 57 21.5%
  • Getting peace/maturity in my reef tank

Votes: 154 58.1%
  • Saving for and buying new equipment

Votes: 80 30.2%
  • Other

Votes: 41 15.5%

• Total voters

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up my 50 gallon IM mixed reef this past August. KP aquatics live rock and sand/crushed coral under a Radion XR30 PRO. Concentrated on stocking fish first: 2 pajama cardinals, Midas blenny, 2 clowns. May add a royal gramma sometime in near future. This year is going to be focus on corals—mushrooms, leathers, zoas, some LPS. I’m purposely going SLOW. I want my tank to mature and do it right the first time.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up my 50 gallon IM mixed reef this past August. KP aquatics live rock and sand/crushed coral under a Radion XR30 PRO. Concentrated on stocking fish first: 2 pajama cardinals, Midas blenny, 2 clowns. May add a royal gramma sometime in near future. This year is going to be focus on corals—mushrooms, leathers, zoas, some LPS. I’m purposely going SLOW. I want my tank to mature and do it right the first time.
Sounds like a good plan!

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is more of an outside the aquarium resolution, but over the past year and a half keeping saltwater aquariums has become my second main favorite love and hobby, alongside my first, music. I find myself researching and watching videos and wanting to talk about it and share my experiences and my tanks all the time. Mostly to people in the entertainment industry who find it interesting at first but are probably thinking “can we talk about something else..” lol.

I have really enjoyed being a part of reef2reef community and I have been wanting to make a YouTube channel to document my journey from absolute noob to 135g predator tank keeper, share the things and lesson I learned, tank updates, continue etc. I started yesterday by making this tiktok account. Please come say hi if you’re on the app! Would love to follow u back especially if you have any tank toks!

KB

www.tiktok.com/@killstank

oldschoolnewventure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making aquarium resolutions for the New Year: What are your plans for 2023?

It is time for New Year’s resolutions and we all know that beautiful reef tanks don’t just happen. Have you made any resolutions this year to take your reefing to the next level? Maybe more water testing or water changes? Maybe you are saving up for new equipment or planning to do regular maintenance on the equipment that you already have? What resolutions have you made, or do you not make any resolutions? Let’s talk about those resolutions in the thread below!

Denadi_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @Roberto Denadai
As my name states, oldschoolnewventure, I'm new to the reef community after almost twenty-five 7years of FOWLR. so after my first year of trials and tribulations, im upgrading my lights from the current loop lighting system to radion xr30 gen4. I'm also including the apex jr. and dosing systems already started Kalkwasser . its a journey that I am willing to undertake for the amazing beauty in the end.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish setting up 310 automation.
Get frags on rock and off frag racks
Get macroalgar growing in refugium to lower nitrates
Get smaller tank maybe 30 by 30 so I gave a space for conflict issues.
Get a better handle on trace elements for water chemistry balance, maybe talk to Chris Wood.
Maybe add a Kole tang
Get lighting dialed in better.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish setting up 310 automation.
Get frags on rock and off frag racks
Get macroalgar growing in refugium to lower nitrates
Get smaller tank maybe 30 by 30 so I gave a space for conflict issues.
Get a better handle on trace elements for water chemistry balance, maybe talk to Chris Wood.
Maybe add a Kole tang
Get lighting dialed in better.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I plan to implement a power backup system, based around a LifePO4 battery, to deal with the multiple / short power outages we experience. That will likely involve a tank controller upgrade, as well. Other than that, just keeping things stable and watching my coral grow

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My goal is to get my two tanks consolidated into ONE TANK!!! I thought i wanted two but i was wrong. Too costly and time consuming. Two tanks minus one tank divided by same amount of effort = a better tank!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to get my two tanks consolidated into ONE TANK!!! I thought i wanted two but i was wrong. Too costly and time consuming. Two tanks minus one tank divided by same amount of effort = a better tank!
Hi Kyle,
I have had fish tanks my entire adult life and reef tanks for over 20 years. Multiple times I thought I wanted more than one tank so I could keep fish and inverts that were not compatible. I know folks who are able to do that well but I never could and eventually had to admit to myself that I am a one tank person. I maintain one tank very well but anymore than that overwhelms me eventually.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My resolution is strongly oriented on one of the last questions ... to finish what I couldn't in 2022. That basically means almost everything, since I want to start my tank with (almost)full DIY automation :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Currently I have finished:
- the basic tank setup (sweet water)
- my basic ReefPi computer unit (with switchable AC outlets and temperature, flow meter and air quality sensor)
What I haven't finished:
- DIY LED dimming circuit
- DIY EC Sensor
- Sensor Module (pH and DIY EC Sensor)
- Doser Module

Let's see if I can make it in 2023 :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching to natural sea water

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aim is to consolidate two very different functioning sumps for two different aquariums. This is to cut down on my maintenance. Also find out why my Peristaltic Pumps are not balanced and set up an automatic water change.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I MIGHT think about going from a 13.5 evo to a 20 gallon innovative marine. The evo is starting to annoy me.
I’ll be an enabler and say go for it! I love my SR60. If you have the room ‘finances maybe the 30l Nuvo ? I had one before this tank and loved it. Just wanted more room. As far as my own goals/aspirations for the coming year, one big one is stability. Try not to tinker with things like the scape and such. And just enjoy the reef as it hopefully starts to mature.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back