Making Connections: What adhesives have you used in or around your aquarium?

Where in or around your aquarium have you used adhesives/glues?

• Mounting frags

Votes: 225 93.4%
  • Bonding acrylic

Votes: 54 22.4%
  • Sealing with silicone

Votes: 80 33.2%
  • Aquascaping rocks

Votes: 172 71.4%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 12 5.0%

• Total voters

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago when I was planning on gluing a lot of rock together for our 125g. I fell into bad health, but I'm now wanting to get back into the hobby. I watched a video on YouTube on a refer that used maybe,....baking soda, ??? And some other wet product, maybe superglue,..? that glued the rock very quickly, I wish I had better info ! It was dimple, fast and cheap.

Most the products that have been posted here are expensive unless using the Dollar Store super glue.

What about a glue like this ?

"The Vikings used pine pitch to seal their lapstrake long ships. They made trips from Scandinavia to the British Isles, France, and down the European rivers as far south as Byzantium. Not a bad track record, for pine sap !''. End quote...

It must have stood up to the ocean saltwater, so why not with our tank rock ?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago when I was planning on gluing a lot of rock together for our 125g. I fell into bad health, but I'm now wanting to get back into the hobby. I watched a video on YouTube on a refer that used maybe,....baking soda, ??? And some other wet product, maybe superglue,..? that glued the rock very quickly, I wish I had better info ! It was dimple, fast and cheap.

I was trying to get spaces between the Dry Rock, so this meant less Contact area , some rocks as little as two places. That’s why I used pulverized Dry Rock, to fill in the gaps, at my contact areas. Some places have multiple glue layers, done after a twenty-four hour set time.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my system I've used a tooon of different adhesives. Here's what I've learned...

When I resealed the tank (it was an older used tank), I used silicone, more specifically RTV 108 silicone. I 100% highly suggest this as it makes an incredibly strong adhesion to glass and is 100% silicone (and therefore 100% reefsafe). Let it cure atleast a week and your house will smell like vinegar the whole time.

For constructing rockwork, I used a combo of E-Marco mortar (reef safe) and 2 part epoxy. The mortar was great as it made a permanent bond between what it held, however support is necessary until it cures which takes a while. I actually drilled each of the main rocks in each stack and put 1/2" acrylic rods through them to help further with stability. My rocks that I did in the manner are (I suppose redundantly) "rock solid". I also used the 2 part epoxy to adhere various smaller pieces and also larger pieces I added later on in order to give a little more shape to the reef.

For frag adhesion, I use a combo of gel super glue and 2 part epoxy sticks. Knead the epoxy then super glue the frag base. Mold it to the base. Then glue the bottom of the epoxy ball and stick on the rock. Smaller things just get super glue. By in large this method has served me well.

All of this has been completely reef safe in my experience and a skimmer and carbon will pull whatever little compounds are released into the water.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to get spaces between the Dry Rock, so this meant less Contact area , some rocks as little as two places. That’s why I used pulverized Dry Rock, to fill in the gaps, at my contact areas. Some places have multiple glue layers, done after a twenty-four hour set time.
Steve, could it have been you ? I remember pulverized rock, what did you use as glue ?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used GlueMasters Medium.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 23

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would these be another option ?
And why can't we use aquarium sealant when joining rocks, will it not adhere to rock or it's not strong enough to hold the weight ?

I'm just researching products that will work great and at the lowest price possible.

Permanently Flexible

Indoor or Outdoor Use

Mildew Resistant

DAP Ultra Clear is a High-Performance, elastomeric clear sealant. Excellent all weather application and adhesion even on wet surfaces. Stays crystal clear and permanently flexible.

Ultra flexible and crackproof even in cold weather

Immediate water ready - won't wash out

Strong multi surface adhesion

DAP 18810 Construction Sealant, 10.1 oz, Cartridge, White, Polyurethane Base
Sealant, For Use On Concrete, Fiberglass, Glass, Masonry, Metal, Plastic, Wood, Polyurethane Sealant Base, Color White, Sealant Container Cartridge, Size 10.1 oz, Begins to Harden 30 min, Full Cure 7 day, Performance Temp. Range -40 Degrees to 170 Degrees F, Application Temp. Range 40 Degrees to 100 Degrees F, Specific Gravity 1.4, Flash Point Greater Than 200 Degrees F, VOC 36 g/L

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would these be another option ?
And why can't we use aquarium sealant when joining rocks, will it not adhere to rock or it's not strong enough to hold the weight ?

I'm just researching products that will work great and at the lowest price possible.

Permanently Flexible

Indoor or Outdoor Use

Mildew Resistant

DAP Ultra Clear is a High-Performance, elastomeric clear sealant. Excellent all weather application and adhesion even on wet surfaces. Stays crystal clear and permanently flexible.

Ultra flexible and crackproof even in cold weather

Immediate water ready - won't wash out

Strong multi surface adhesion

DAP 18810 Construction Sealant, 10.1 oz, Cartridge, White, Polyurethane Base
Sealant, For Use On Concrete, Fiberglass, Glass, Masonry, Metal, Plastic, Wood, Polyurethane Sealant Base, Color White, Sealant Container Cartridge, Size 10.1 oz, Begins to Harden 30 min, Full Cure 7 day, Performance Temp. Range -40 Degrees to 170 Degrees F, Application Temp. Range 40 Degrees to 100 Degrees F, Specific Gravity 1.4, Flash Point Greater Than 200 Degrees F, VOC 36 g/L

When you see the term “mildew resistant”, it can be a yellow flag to suggest that it might not be aquarium safe.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use Construction Adhesive, or Construction Caulk. The off Gasing is terrible, and the most likely contain UV and Mold inhibitors. I’ve used OSI Caulking, on Windows and Doors. I would never use it inside. Also it takes about a month to fully set in cool weather, it skims in a few hours. The set time, makes it last.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute ultimate is the epoxy putty from PC Plumbing. it's NSF for potable water and cures underwater. seals leaks on pressurized lines and hardens like steel. you'll be amazed and want to have it around the house for anything to do with plumbing as well. or boats. or aquariums. on Amazon.

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little fishies epoxy sticks, Bob smith super thick CA and accelerator.

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've re-sealed two tanks using a Aquarium silicon---no issues with either. On a new build I've started (no thread -- yet) in the rock scape I've tried to use Super Glue (that failed miserably), Hot glue, (even more miserably), Gorilla Glue -- Failed, and marine epoxy -- ok so far.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back