Making Connections: What adhesives have you used in or around your aquarium?

Where in or around your aquarium have you used adhesives/glues?

• Mounting frags

Votes: 225 93.4%
  • Bonding acrylic

Votes: 54 22.4%
  • Sealing with silicone

Votes: 80 33.2%
  • Aquascaping rocks

Votes: 172 71.4%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 12 5.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whether or not you know about cyanoacrylate, let's talk about adhesives in and around your reef tank! For attaching rocks to rocks, attaching frags to frag plugs, or connecting/repairing reefing equipment, what adhesives have you used? Do you have any tips, recommended brands, or major fails to share? Please complete the poll and join the discussion!

gluemasters.png

Oh, and if you are still wondering about cyanoacrylate, it is the major ingredient in super glue. Feel free to click on the picture above for a link to to a cyanoacrylate product from an R2R sponsor - @Glue Masters (and check out the Glue Masters sub-forum on R2R).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For bonding my aqua scape together I just used cheap thin super glue and some baking soda or rock dust. It works really well.
I was going to use gluemasters because I’ve heard nothing but praise for their products, but I was too impatient so I got cheap superglue locally.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the cheap Dollar Tree super glue gel for frags. I have also use the epoxy sticks for mounting acros. Aquarium silicone was used for sump baffles.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really loathe having to mount frags. No matter what technique or brand of glue I use, they often come loose before they encrust on to the rock. Everytime I think I have the technique down, something inevitably gets knocked loose.
I used mortar to secure my rocks on this build and it's great not worrying about them toppling if I have to scrub any algae. Last night I used mortar on my 5 loose frags. I think at least one did not take. The mortar started to disintegrate as soon as I put it into the tank. I think by the last couple frags I got the technique down.

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whether or not you know about cyanoacrylate, let's talk about adhesives in and around your reef tank! For attaching rocks to rocks, attaching frags to frag plugs, or connecting/repairing reefing equipment, what adhesives have you used? Do you have any tips, recommended brands, or major fails to share? Please complete the poll and join the discussion!

gluemasters.png

Oh, and if you are still wondering about cyanoacrylate, it is the major ingredient in super glue. Feel free to click on the picture above for a link to to a cyanoacrylate product from an R2R sponsor - @Glue Masters (and check out the Glue Masters sub-forum on R2R).

Didn't know this was a thing. Just been buying super glue tubes. Gonna purchase this. Thanks for creating this thread!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tip is 1) always have multiple glue tubes around...
2) find someone who is better at gluing and talk them into gluing

I feel I squeeze too hard, end up with glue lid glued onto glue tube (yes I wait...) but apparently there is an art to glue...

I tend to get just one use out of glue tube before I've messed it up too badly... though with a sharp knife my boyfriend is able to later reopen tube, use and reseal... maybe I just need to be more 'crafty'

I'd much rather be growing out existing corals and not bringing in new ones that need glued down

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of superglue or aquarium epoxys for frags I have used several other products.

Pond Shield Epoxy - Waterproofing inside and outside of DIY aquariums

RTV108 - Bonding glass on glass or glass to DIY aquariums (Pond Shield Epoxy) - This is an adhesive not a sealer and very strong.

GE Silicone 1 - Mostly for securing threaded PVC fittings together (Way Better than teflon tape or paste) and extra seal protection on bulkhead fittings that are on uneven surfaces (DIY aquariums)

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest Reef Bond for scaping and DIY reef plugs. Superglue gel from dollar store for frags.

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use CA glue for attaching frags to plugs or plugs to rocks. For aquascape I use CA thick and thin along with epoxy putty.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing for this thread because I was about to post a question. So far I've only had to glue frags and I use super glue. I got it from the shop where I buy corals so it's one of those more expensive ones for coral gluing. It worked great at first but now it won't cure so it's useless. It just stays gooey and that's with shaking it. Regular super glue always dries out on me because I don't use it fast enough.

I just came across a product called Bondic. It's one of those UV cured resin glues. It's supposedly non-toxic and safe in water. Has anyone tried this for their tanks in general but specifically coral gluing?

Jay B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used CA for frags and mortar for rock scape as well as silicone for sump baffles in the past. Ive used acrilic rods for rock work but I think the mortar looks the best so far. The mortar was troublesome to use because I was doing live rock with encrusting coral and Favia on it. The rock has lots of water in it and disintegrates the mortar at first. I eventually got it but it takes a ton of patience especially if you are spraying down corals to keep them alive for enough cure time to hold the structure together. I have recently seen and touched a product called SEATAK that is designed for coral reef restoration and can be used underwater for frags and rockwork This stuff wont hurt the coral tissues and looks amazing. There is a technique to using it but I cant wait to get my hands on some for fragging and rock work underwater.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using (Bob Smith Industries) IC-Gel Version of Cyanoacrylate Glue. (Comes in Various sizes, Super Thick, can be used under water and good shelf life, comes with extra tips if they get clogged). https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ic-gel-insta-cure-cyanoacrylate-gel-bob-smith-industries.html

NOTE: To extend Cyanoacrlate glue shelf life, keep them in fridge and tightly sealed. Always wipe tip of application clean before capping.

For various Reef Projects and DIY fixes around the house I combine the IC-GEL with this (Bob Smith) Super Accelerator for any Cryanoacrylate Glue (LIttle Spray of the accelearator make the Crazy Glue set instantly) https://aquariumdepot.ca/products/b...-accelerator-59ml?_pos=1&_sid=0be7cfb13&_ss=r

NOTE: The Accelerator needs to be rinsed off before putting anything back into tank.

Using those two products I've done dozens of things, including fix pumps, any broken Plastics, glass, ceramics, even sealing leaks. Of course to frag mouting and even fixing a shattered LPS stem. I always have them in stock at home.

I also combine the Glue with general purpose two part Epoxy Reef Putty, with is the best way to mount any coral/frag https://aquariumdepot.ca/products/t...d-epoxy-putty-4oz?_pos=1&_sid=673778fc3&_ss=r

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried quite a few of the cheap and cheerful bonding products widely available out there, but none have worked better for me than:
1. AquaForest StoneFix for aquascaping
2. Combine D+D putty with SeaChem glue

The combination of putty and glue works brilliantly for keeping plugs put and permanent and with the bonus that the putty is coraline purple, so it doesn't stand out ;)

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very good at bonding my fingers together and coating my hands in cyanoacrylate.
Same here, BTW using Fingernail Polish Remover, aka Acetone or any other Paint Thinner is wrong. Use Baby Oil, Hand Lotion or Cooking Oil. The Oil will get under the Glue, causing it to release.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gluemasters.png

I bought the glue master thick viscosity on amazon and its utter trash. IDK what variant everyone else got but this stuff runs everywhere and not thick at all. I have $30 of glue that is worthless. I wanted to use this stuff for mounting frags and my rock work together. Had to go to ace and buy some more gorilla glue gel to get everything glued down (yeah guess how much that glue was). And you cant return it to amazon.

Gorilla Glue gel for me only now.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a small piece of rock, put it in a Black Food Container, and hammer smashed it into a fine sand. I use that to cover the runs, fill in the gaps, and add strength to the joint. BTW The Spout and Cap is the most frustrating part. My cap, and spout got permanently glued. I haven’t found what will cap the remaining glue off, so I guess it will go to waste.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back