Making live rock help

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some old rocks I pulled out when was dealing with bad algae and pest issue. They’ve been sitting in a bucket in my back porch for months. How can use some these pieces again. Last time I did this I soaked them in bleach then let them dry in the sun, then rodi rinse, then into a dark container with a lower head for a few weeks. Can anyone give me specifics on the steps or If I only want a small rock or two is it better to just go to the lfs? Lol

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about a few pounds, I would just get some nice pieces of live rock at the pet shop. It’s not worth the effort, in my opinion, to go through the soak and rinsing and hoping game that your rock will be fine and not alter your water chemistry among other things.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly what you're talking about. I took some rock, let it soak in water with bleach, I let them dry in the sun then rinsed them. After they were dry I put them in a container filled with my "old" water from a water change with a heater and a pump for about 3 months I then put them in my tank. It's only been 2 months but everything is looking good so far. Before you put them in your tank get a real good sniff and make sure it doesn't smell bad, you know that fishy smell.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back