Male clown fish hurt bad

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the cause of rapid breathing be from the fight?

Do fish need more oxygen like us when they are stressed from exercise?

what about the cloudy eye? Fighting cause this?
While rapid breathing can be caused by the exertion from fighting, when the fighting is not happening, the respiration rate would return to normal within a short time. If it doesn’t that then points to some systemic issue. For example - I’ll be out of breath from running on a treadmill. If I’m still out of breath an hour after stopping, I have some serious issues.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This situation happened to me as well. I had ordered some new fish - one of whom got either velvet or brookylnella. Then one of the clown pair got it - and as soon as he got 'sick' - he was attacked by the other fish. Once treated, and they were put back together, all was fine again. One comment that bothered me is that you said you used a '45 day fallow period' and 'treat everything with copper'. 1. Some would say thats too short a 'fallow period' and 2. Copper can be tricky if levels etc not carefully followed.

Another option, I guess would be they started fighting, and the stress of that caused enough issues that an unknown parasite was able to gain a foothold. As many have said, to me this does not look like 'fighting' alone

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MN such a good detail catch. in reading up the thread to learn about disease onsets/delayed ones 2 years pretty significant I was thinking about opportunistic infection latent in the system/pouncing on the fish after insult, but I couldn't see where it came from given the tank age and strict input contols at least better than most. not haphazard at all

if the disease components were never starved out perhaps they survived in a steady state by infrequent attacks on the fish but its immune system was winning> not sure. fun thread to read and ponder as it helps determine disease etiology for our fish in pattern, how they may persist but not express in all systems given any slack in fallow preps.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown domestic battles are common. I had it happen years ago. Seperated the beat up male and unfortunately, he jumped out of the refugium I had him in. Still no one can explain why the sudden rejection? What did he say or do to deserve that?‍♂️ He certainly wasn’t cheating!

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While rapid breathing can be caused by the exertion from fighting, when the fighting is not happening, the respiration rate would return to normal within a short time. If it doesn’t that then points to some systemic issue. For example - I’ll be out of breath from running on a treadmill. If I’m still out of breath an hour after stopping, I have some serious issues.
Jay
Shortly after I separated them, his breathing went back to normal.
lights aren’t on yet but I’ll try and snap another, more clear photo of him with whites on.

I know this thread isn’t about qt but I’ve read the studies about qt fallow of 76 days being only for a specific strain of ich, and 45 days being sufficient. Furthermore copper power is what I use and test daily with a Hanna checker, only manual top off to ensure therapeutic levels at all times.
Again it’s not impossible. No QT is perfect I just feel it’s unlikely given my methods and the timeline.

He is still in his corner, alert. Looks like he’s “pacing”. Normally he would be laying down in the sand on the other side of the tank sleeping or doing some other weird clownfish thing.. seems like he’s still shaken up from the fight.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lights aren’t on yet but I’ll try and snap another, more clear photo of him with whites on.

I know this thread isn’t about qt but I’ve read the studies about qt fallow of 76 days being only for a specific strain of ich, and 45 days being sufficient. Furthermore copper power is what I use and test daily with a Hanna checker, only manual top off to ensure therapeutic levels at all times.
Again it’s not impossible. No QT is perfect I just feel it’s unlikely given my methods and the timeline.

He is still in his corner, alert. Looks like he’s “pacing”. Normally he would be laying down in the sand on the other side of the tank sleeping or doing some other weird clownfish thing.. seems like he’s still shaken up from the fight.
If he eats then the pressure is off

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown domestic battles are common. I had it happen years ago. Seperated the beat up male and unfortunately, he jumped out of the refugium I had him in. Still no one can explain why the sudden rejection? What did he say or do to deserve that?‍♂️ He certainly wasn’t cheating!

Left the toilet seat up one too many times...

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B34C88B1-C52F-4A5E-8B41-A8685C2022F0.jpeg
Hope this is easier to see. The clouding on his body toward his back fin is just the dirty glass. The white in his eye is a reflection from the camera.
He does not have any white spots or clouding. just very chewed up fins and bite marks on his body. You can see a bite mark clearly on his body right behind his head.

he was interested in food this morning but won’t swim higher than halfway in the tank so other fish got it first. I’ll try target feeding him after work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

45 days laying fallow is the minimum time if the water temperature is above 80.
The fish’s respiration slowing down is a good sign.
Jay

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 days laying fallow is the minimum time if the water temperature is above 80.
The fish’s respiration slowing down is a good sign.
Jay
Yes I do keep the temp at 80 during the fallow period. Again not perfect but with the timeline it just feels unlikely

as far as reintroducing them... how/when should I try that

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I do keep the temp at 80 during the fallow period. Again not perfect but with the timeline it just feels unlikely

Do you have the clown (the healthy one) - in an acclimation box in the tank (which seems to be the best idea) - And - Also some would recommend re-arranging your rock work a little - so different territories are present.

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the clown (the healthy one) - in an acclimation box in the tank (which seems to be the best idea) - And - Also some would recommend re-arranging your rock work a little - so different territories are present.
Yes I do have her in a clear acclimation box in the same tank.

that’s a great idea. Ive been wanting to do that anyways so I’ll go ahead with it

I might scatter some pvc pipe around the tank so there are more places to hide

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B34C88B1-C52F-4A5E-8B41-A8685C2022F0.jpeg
Hope this is easier to see. The clouding on his body toward his back fin is just the dirty glass. The white in his eye is a reflection from the camera.
He does not have any white spots or clouding. just very chewed up fins and bite marks on his body. You can see a bite mark clearly on his body right behind his head.

he was interested in food this morning but won’t swim higher than halfway in the tank so other fish got it first. I’ll try target feeding him after work.
Does not look like brook to me

He definitely needs some time to recover

Maybe feed some food that disperses widely and allow him a chance to eat

Good luck. Glad he didnt die on you.

The Mrs. Needs some sump time

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is always tough. One trick you might try: put the stronger one in a time out box for a few weeks and let the injured one that time to get stronger and set up a territory.
Jay

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is always tough. One trick you might try: put the stronger one in a time out box for a few weeks and let the injured one that time to get stronger and set up a territory.
Jay
Sounds like a plan
Thank you again for offering your knowledge and guidance! Really hope the little guy pulls through

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Took the female out of the box after 3 days and put the male in since she was being a bit aggressive

just took the male out of the box yesterday (7 days after fight) and they appear to be ok.

both are eating and hanging out but what’s weird is that they slept on opposite corners of the tank where normally they would sleep near each other.. lol.
Seems ok now hopefully aggression doesn’t resurface

Back