Male clown not eating as much and acting strange

Manuel Peralta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Ocellaris clownfish for over a year now. They were initially the same size when I got them but, one of them was more "aggressive". I suspected that the aggressive one was going to turn female. Over a month ago I noticed that the less aggressive one was getting bigger and the more aggressive one was still the same size. It looks like the aggressive clown stayed a male. Before this happened the aggressive clown was acting normal, swimming freely and eating fine but after the other clown grew bigger, it started acting shy and scared. It is always hiding in a cave and sometimes comes out but the majority of the time it is hiding in the rocks. I feed pellets and when I feed the tank it only takes like 3-5 pellets and stops eating. Once it is done eating a small amount it ignores the rest of the food. It also moves the sand around with its body. I like to make ditches in the sand. The other clown is not bullying it or bothering and I have no other fish besides the clowns. Is this normal behavior? Should I be worried?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend, to put it simply; clowns are weirdos. They are unpredictable fish. Unless you see it stop eating, I wouldn’t take action. I actually had a situation a few months ago. My clown that was bigger actually was submissive to the littler clown, but they worked it out. The clown that was smaller and meaner quickly grew larger than the clown that was previously larger.
Keep us updated

OP
OP
Manuel Peralta

Manuel Peralta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend, to put it simply; clowns are weirdos. They are unpredictable fish. Unless you see it stop eating, I wouldn’t take action. I actually had a situation a few months ago. My clown that was bigger actually was submissive to the littler clown, but they worked it out. The clown that was smaller and meaner quickly grew larger than the clown that was previously larger.
Keep us updated
Ok, that is good to hear. I was wondering if adding another fish that is less shy and swims more openly, will it feel more comfortable getting out into the open?

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male does exactly the same as yours.
And when both of them don't eat at all for a day or two, I know eggs are on the way.

OP
OP
Manuel Peralta

Manuel Peralta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male does exactly the same as yours.
And when both of them don't eat at all for a day or two, I know eggs are on the way.
Really?! I wonder if mine are going to lay eggs. I heard somewhere that once they lay eggs is not recommended to add any new fish. Is this true in your expirence?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?! I wonder if mine are going to lay eggs. I heard somewhere that once they lay eggs is not recommended to add any new fish. Is this true in your expirence?
They will become more aggressive, but you can always throw them into a breeder box for two days while adding fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back