Male clownfish eating eggs after years of successful spawns.

St103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of successful spawns my male clownfish has stopped caring for the eggs and started eating them.

This all started happening 7 clutches ago, i usually take the eggs out on hatch night and move them to a separate tank. I was unable to do it at night so i did it during the day with the lights on while the male was still tending to the clutch.

Ever since then when ever the female is around he leaves the nest and when she is gone he comes back to the nest and eats at the eggs. He gets copious amounts of food already (fed four times a day). I wouldn't expect him to be doing this for so long after the one experience, any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of successful spawns my male clownfish has stopped caring for the eggs and started eating them.

This all started happening 7 clutches ago, i usually take the eggs out on hatch night and move them to a separate tank. I was unable to do it at night so i did it during the day with the lights on while the male was still tending to the clutch.

Ever since then when ever the female is around he leaves the nest and when she is gone he comes back to the nest and eats at the eggs. He gets copious amounts of food already (fed four times a day). I wouldn't expect him to be doing this for so long after the one experience, any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Just spitballing here; It isn’t eating eggs due to hunger. It could be behavioral, or reproductive. The eggs may not be fertile or are developing improperly due to the age of the parents. Or - it could be behavioral, prompted by the change you made. I wonder- what would happen if you put a piece of flat rock over their current spawning site? Maybe changing the surface would help?
Jay

OP
OP
S

St103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. That's a good idea, maybe changing things a little will help. At this point its worth a try.

californiarob

Reef lover with a pirate smiLe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure he's eating and not mouthing and they are falling off due to being unfertile or bacteria infections, can you see if the eggs are maturing and getting older for hatch night?

OP
OP
S

St103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the eggs are all gone by day 6. He seems very inattentive to taking care of the eggs now a days, usually he would spend all day fanning them and mouthing them. Now he just swims around aimlessly picks at them ever once in awhile.

Hes never had issues with fertilizing the eggs before and i cant see so many clutches all being effected by bacteria all back to back.

At the same time i would assume if he was eating them he would do so a lot quicker then he is...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Typical old man-
Brine Wine and Caviar !!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back