Male clownfish skinny

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clownfish was fat and happy and eating before, but is now hiding all the time. When he came out today I noticed he looked skinny and swam a bit weird. Went after food, but always hesitated right in front of it, or just ate some and spat it out. Worried it’s internal parasites, are there any reef safe ways to fix him?
C6AA929E-8309-48FC-A1A4-DB39A47097FC.jpeg
4F4BA05B-2A10-49C0-811B-F00F6AB28F2D.jpeg
F5B87ECA-3E92-4AA5-BFEF-DAE3FF6B4BEA.jpeg
A75A7ADB-0948-46F3-B00C-3F3729631E96.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This clownfish was fat and happy and eating before, but is now hiding all the time. When he came out today I noticed he looked skinny and swam a bit weird. Went after food, but always hesitated right in front of it, or just ate some and spat it out. Worried it’s internal parasites, are there any reef safe ways to fix him?
C6AA929E-8309-48FC-A1A4-DB39A47097FC.jpeg
4F4BA05B-2A10-49C0-811B-F00F6AB28F2D.jpeg
F5B87ECA-3E92-4AA5-BFEF-DAE3FF6B4BEA.jpeg
A75A7ADB-0948-46F3-B00C-3F3729631E96.jpeg
This often happens when ther is a dominant female who tends to steal all the food why the female is often larger however this fish seems exceptionally skinny
Is it eating?
If do- what are you feeding?

OP
OP
D

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This often happens when ther is a dominant female who tends to steal all the food why the female is often larger however this fish seems exceptionally skinny
Is it eating?
If do- what are you feeding?
Primarily feeding omega one flakes and occasional frozen mysis. The thing that confuses me most is that he does get food often, only recently has he decided to not eat it. While taking pictures he ate multiple flakes but spit them all out, with the female never interfereing.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Primarily feeding omega one flakes and occasional frozen mysis. The thing that confuses me most is that he does get food often, only recently has he decided to not eat it. While taking pictures he ate multiple flakes but spit them all out, with the female never interfereing.
Try brine shrimp or small plankton which it should accept and see if it keeps it down
If not, it may have internal issues
Showing interest is however good.
Is breathing normal or labored

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Breathing definitely seems a bit laboured
The clown may be ill , but based on body mass, quarantining it or FW dip can make matters worse or be fatal. Start with trying other foods mentioned- Brine shrimp is very accessible.

OP
OP
D

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown may be ill , but based on body mass, quarantining it or FW dip can make matters worse or be fatal. Start with trying other foods mentioned- Brine shrimp is very accessible.
Tried some frozen brine I normally feed my freshwater fish with, unfortunately he did not seem all that interested. Let most of it float past him and I think I only saw him eat half a brine shrimp. Maybe ill try tomorrow and hopefully he has somewhat more of an appetite.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried some frozen brine I normally feed my freshwater fish with, unfortunately he did not seem all that interested. Let most of it float past him and I think I only saw him eat half a brine shrimp. Maybe ill try tomorrow and hopefully he has somewhat more of an appetite.

Can you post a video of both of the clowns?
How long have you had these fish?

I suspect a systemic disease that is causing long term malabsorption - some internal parasites can do that, but also mycobacterium. Once the fish becomes this emaciated, you sometimes cannot bring them back around - their livers get utilized as a food source, so even if you get it eating again, its liver may be too damaged.

Jay

OP
OP
D

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video of both of the clowns?
How long have you had these fish?

I suspect a systemic disease that is causing long term malabsorption - some internal parasites can do that, but also mycobacterium. Once the fish becomes this emaciated, you sometimes cannot bring them back around - their livers get utilized as a food source, so even if you get it eating again, its liver may be too damaged.

Jay

female I got more than a year ago at an LFS, the male was from petco about 3 months ago. I chose the smallest guy there because I was afraid of getting a female and having the two fight. They did pair up but I guess I chose one too small.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

female I got more than a year ago at an LFS, the male was from petco about 3 months ago. I chose the smallest guy there because I was afraid of getting a female and having the two fight. They did pair up but I guess I chose one too small.

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm that both clowns didn't have some symptoms, it is just the one that does.

Systemic diseases like Myco don't have good outcomes I'm afraid. In case I'm wrong, the best thing to do would be to feed it as much as it will eat, multiple times a day to see if you can put some weight back on it.

Jay

OP
OP
D

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just wanted to confirm that both clowns didn't have some symptoms, it is just the one that does.

Systemic diseases like Myco don't have good outcomes I'm afraid. In case I'm wrong, the best thing to do would be to feed it as much as it will eat, multiple times a day to see if you can put some weight back on it.

Jay
Is it contagious? Guy barely eats, if it is I might as well try to put him down. If it isn't then I'll just feed a bit more heavily and see how he does. Thanks for all the advice though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it contagious? Guy barely eats, if it is I might as well try to put him down. If it isn't then I'll just feed a bit more heavily and see how he does. Thanks for all the advice though.
Myco isn’t really that contagious, other systemic diseases can be though.
If the fish just isn’t accepting enough food, it doesn’t sound like there is much else you can do, sorry.
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back