male seahorse with pouch embolium

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have had my two male eretus horses activily trying to breed over the last week. Now one boy has/had (i let it out) air in his pouch has he was having bouncy problems. My other little males pouch is a bit puffy but no bouncy problems yet (keeping an eye). I understand that air is caused by bacteria. So how do I get rid of it. I have a 120 bare bottom with live rock and softies. I vacccum once a day week do do 2 10% water changes a week. Should I be trying to get some of the live rock out and into the sump? The tank is 24 inches tall The temp is 71/72 selenity 22. I use a feeding dish I would appreciate any addvice. Thank you Mere

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A one time occurrence with air bubbles in a stallion's pouch can happen to anyone's pony. You did the right thing by letting the bubbles out. If however you find that this same stallion continues to develop air bubbles in his pouch and has buoyancy issues then you should look into maybe doing a pouch flush. Freshly made saltwater can be used or maybe even some sanolife mic-F or Furan 2. If the condition persists you may need to resort to using Diamox which is a prescription medication. It is not always easy to acquire. My vet wrote a script for me but not all vets will. Sometimes an understanding family dr will write a script.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A one time occurrence with air bubbles in a stallion's pouch can happen to anyone's pony. You did the right thing by letting the bubbles out. If however you find that this same stallion continues to develop air bubbles in his pouch and has buoyancy issues then you should look into maybe doing a pouch flush. Freshly made saltwater can be used or maybe even some sanolife mic-F or Furan 2. If the condition persists you may need to resort to using Diamox which is a prescription medication. It is not always easy to acquire. My vet wrote a script for me but not all vets will. Sometimes an understanding family dr will write a script.
ok i will keep an eye on him and i already have furan 2 and diamox. So if the othe pony ends up with air not a pregnancy does this still apply as he has not had problems or would things change because it would be two ponies in a small time fram as tthey were both trying to breed. Thank you

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i will keep an eye on him and i already have furan 2 and diamox. So if the othe pony ends up with air not a pregnancy does this still apply as he has not had problems or would things change because it would be two ponies in a small time fram as tthey were both trying to breed. Thank you
When ever more than 1 pony is affected negatively in a short time frame, then one must at least consider the possibility that the aquarium enviroment is contributing to the condition. At that point I would look for pockets of detritus build up and try doing extra water changes to get water quality back up.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ever more than 1 pony is affected negatively in a short time frame, then one must at least consider the possibility that the aquarium enviroment is contributing to the condition. At that point I would look for pockets of detritus build up and try doing extra water changes to get water quality back up.
K thank you he is still doing fine no bouncy yet still watchin close thank you for the help its appreciated

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back