Male Splendid Fairy Wrasse - Popeye

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all,

I have had this wrasse for a week now, spent a day hiding but since then is out and about, eating a ton, always begging for food. He has fit in very well with the fire fish and the clown pair. I did notice on Friday/Saturday his left eye bulging a bit, it does look like Popeye to me. Other than the look of it, this is the most active fish in the tank. I have a 65G tank about 2 months old. So, Popeye it is? I have read that if it is only in one eye, it is likely from injury and should heal on its own, and thus most likely not a bacteria causing it. Thoughts and treatment ideas, (if any)? Thank you in advance!

Side note: Salinity in bag tested when I got home, 1.20, I keep my tank right at 1.24, I drip acclimated for about 3 hours in order to level out the salinity levels, could this have caused the popeye maybe? Fish was shipped overnight and spent about 16 hours in transit.

IMG_7865.JPG

IMG_7856.JPG
IMG_7966.jpg
IMG_7967.PNG

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t hurt to treat with maracyn-1, even in a single eye could be related to bacterial infection, or can lead to it.
Keeping the water nice and clean also helps to speed up healing.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t hurt to treat with maracyn-1, even in a single eye could be related to bacterial infection, or can lead to it.
Keeping the water nice and clean also helps to speed up healing.
it’s been 4/5 days, so you think it’s time to treat? Or should i wait it out a bit longer? once again, he eats like a machine and very active!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another thread, maracyn-1 was recommended for this.
Antibiotics that won’t damage beneficial bacteria would work.
When one of my puffers (freshwater) got popeye, metroplex helped.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another thread, maracyn-1 was recommended for this.
Antibiotics that won’t damage beneficial bacteria would work.
When one of my puffers (freshwater) got popeye, metroplex helped.
I read that as well, just worried about the possible impact on a relatively new tank about 3 months

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good afternoon all,

I have had this wrasse for a week now, spent a day hiding but since then is out and about, eating a ton, always begging for food. He has fit in very well with the fire fish and the clown pair. I did notice on Friday/Saturday his left eye bulging a bit, it does look like Popeye to me. Other than the look of it, this is the most active fish in the tank. I have a 65G tank about 2 months old. So, Popeye it is? I have read that if it is only in one eye, it is likely from injury and should heal on its own, and thus most likely not a bacteria causing it. Thoughts and treatment ideas, (if any)? Thank you in advance!

Side note: Salinity in bag tested when I got home, 1.20, I keep my tank right at 1.24, I drip acclimated for about 3 hours in order to level out the salinity levels, could this have caused the popeye maybe? Fish was shipped overnight and spent about 16 hours in transit.

IMG_7865.JPG

IMG_7856.JPG
IMG_7966.jpg
IMG_7967.PNG
This issue can affect a single eye or both eyes. In some cases, the eyes may appear cloudy or may even look clear in some cases, other than the obvious swelling. If only one eye is affected (unilateral), it is likely that the condition is caused by an injury or infection rather than a problem with the water itself. This is particularly true if only one fish is exhibiting popeye. A swollen eye can be the outcome of a fight with another tankmate or your fish could have scraped its eye against an abrasive object in the tank.
The best and effective treatment for this is ethromyacin ( Maracyn 1 ) or sulfate such as Kanamyacin by seachem

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to use Maracyn 1 in a display tank. However, that means catching the fish up and putting it into a treatment tank - and the more you handle the fish, the worse the problem can become.

Here is an article on fish eye disease that I wrote up:

Jay

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to use Maracyn 1 in a display tank. However, that means catching the fish up and putting it into a treatment tank - and the more you handle the fish, the worse the problem can become.

Here is an article on fish eye disease that I wrote up:

Jay
is there a treatment you suggest for the display tank? Would stressguard help?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a treatment you suggest for the display tank? Would stressguard help?

No - stressguard won't help - I don't know of any in-tank treatment that will. However, many cases of popeye will go away on their own in two to three weeks.

Jay

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - stressguard won't help - I don't know of any in-tank treatment that will. However, many cases of popeye will go away on their own in two to three weeks.

Jay
I really appreciate the help. Like I said, the fish couldn't be more active, happy and is an eating machine! We are about 4-5 days in so I will monitor closely next week and make a decision

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back