malek's RSM c 130 build! Returning after 3+ years

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I was casually browsing the net when I found an RSM c 130 in VERY good condition for a very good price. Not to mention all the free stuff the guys is throwing in with it, including a refractometer. So, I decided that it is time I return to the hobby. I'm sure you are all familiar with the RSM C 130, however, if you're not, it is a 130L (approx 34gal) all in one tank made by Red Sea. This is my 2nd saltwater tank, the first one was a nano and I was pretty ignorant and did not do my research and as you would expect, it didn't exactly thrive.

So my plan is to start off with the stock T5 bulbs in the hood, but eventually, I want to go rimless and remove the hood and buy a good LED unit. I will also be purchasing an ATO (auto top off) soon. I wanted to go for the Tunze nano but unfortunately for me it is not available where I live. So, I will go with a brand called DIGITEN Auto Top Off. The seller will also throw in an auto-feeder, not sure if I will use it or sell it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should have about about15 kgs (30 lbs) of rock.

I've decided to start mixing my own saltwater and I will only be buying RODI water (for now at least). I will try to get live sand from a good LFS. The rocks are of course dry and might have some nutrients in them as they were used by the previous owner, so I will be cleaning them as much as I can. I will try a combination of leaving them in the sun, pressure washing and boiling water. When everything is up and running and water is cycling through the tank, I will buy and use a bottle of beneficial bacteria (Seachem Aquarium Conditioner 1 075180) to speed up the biological filtration part of my tank. I am not in a hurry so I will take my time. In AIO sump behind the tank, there is a media basket with 3 "platforms", I plan on putting 1) activated carbon 2)Seachem Purigen 3) Aquarium Filter Media Pad. If you think I should add something else, or have any suggestions please do let me know!

I have no idea what the aquascape will be but I will figure it out once I start messing around with the rocks. Regarding livestock, I probably will not be keeping any SPS. I prefer softies and LPS plus they are less demanding. Of course, ill throw in a pair of clownfish and a cleaner shrimp or a goby? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Also, how much bioload do you think this tank can handle?

I will keep you guys posted with any major updates and I will post some pictures of the tank when I pick it up tomorrow.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-31 at 2.56.22 AM.jpeg

Finally, i picked it up. I've cleaned it very well. It was extremely dirty with waste and algae. Currently, I'm looking for the best way to cure OLD live rock. If you have any suggests do let me know :)! Next update will be as asoon as the tank is clean and dry and back on the stand in its permanent spot.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-01 at 5.45.45 AM.jpeg

I've started the curing process today. I followed the 10:1 water to bleach rule. I'll keep them from around 10 days then I will rinse and fill the container with new water and add dechlorinater. I will let it do its thing for 24 hours and then I will test for the presence of bleach. You can follow my progress even more closely on instagram: Maleks.Reef

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid that I am a bit late, any updates?

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid that I am a bit late, any updates?
Hello there. I did do everything i said above but I havent updated the build thread, unfortunately. My tank will be 15 months old within the next few days with mainly softies. some LPS and one birdsnest colony. I had to go through many issues from severe GHA, to randomly dying euphillia and unexplained fish deaths. However, the tank is generally doing good now with decent growth. You can check out all the corals and fish i got on my Instagram: @maleks.reef ! :)

happy reefing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 74 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back