Mama-SCOLY-mia! Love or Hate and how do you keep them healthy?

How long have you been able to keep a scoly coral healthy in your reef tank?

• A few days or weeks

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • A few months

Votes: 36 15.0%
  • Less than a year

Votes: 35 14.6%
  • More than a year

Votes: 53 22.1%
  • Several years

Votes: 52 21.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 56 23.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally love scolys! They are bigger corals, normally very colorful and bright, can be hand fed and much more. Today let's talk SCOLY!

"Scolymia are one of the most highly sought after large polyp stony corals in the reef keeping hobby. They’ve been popular ever since intensely colored specimens started being imported from Australia. In the past few years, many corals have been reclassified, so what many people call Scolymia such as the ubiquitous Scolymia australis is now Homophyllia australis. Most people in the reef aquarium industry still refer to this coral as a Scolymia.." Excerpt from Tidal Gardens

1. Do you have one or more scoly corals in your reef tank and if so how much do you like them?

2. What are some tips for keeping scolys happy and healthy in your tank?

bigstock-Scolymia-Wellsii-Lps-Coral-On--351110357.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: Never tried one.

They do look awesome. Do they ever grow or make new heads? That's my gripe with them, as opposed to Lobos, for example.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they considered difficult? I have had a bleeding apple for a couple months now. He's pretty happy and eats like a pig. Loves LPS pellets. Those feeders are always out!

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine randomly but not terribly often. Had it over a year now. Unfortunately was one that took a beating in a weird bacterial outbreak I had recently so trying to nurse it back to health. Before that it was doing great.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bleeding apple for years in a 90 gallon mixed reef. Does great on the bottom, under T5 lights. I've never target fed it, but it probably grabs some fish food from time to time.

I dose KH, calcium, magnesium, and Kent Essential Elements. I run Purigen and Phosguard in the sump.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love scolys! They are bigger corals, normally very colorful and bright, can be hand fed and much more. Today let's talk SCOLY!

"Scolymia are one of the most highly sought after large polyp stony corals in the reef keeping hobby. They’ve been popular ever since intensely colored specimens started being imported from Australia. In the past few years, many corals have been reclassified, so what many people call Scolymia such as the ubiquitous Scolymia australis is now Homophyllia australis. Most people in the reef aquarium industry still refer to this coral as a Scolymia.." Excerpt from Tidal Gardens

1. Do you have one or more scoly corals in your reef tank and if so how much do you like them?

Question as not clear - I have one and now nearly 3 months - doing well and was not aware they were hard to keep

HigherStandards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got a FRAG of one. Yes I said frag! It was a very steep battle to keep it alive. But it made it and on good days it'd almost the size of a nickle. The picture was 4 months ago. I don't have a current one. I can't wait until it grows to full size! I want many more scolys!

Attachments

• 20201130_193004.jpg
    20201130_193004.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 237

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got a FRAG of one. Yes I said frag! It was a very steep battle to keep it alive. But it made it and on good days it'd almost the size of a nickle. The picture was 4 months ago. I don't have a current one. I can't wait until it grows to full size! I want many more scolys!
I thought they couldnt be propagated through fragging thats really interesting!

Renescence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 in our tank. The Warpaint, Rainbow and what we have called “The Chocolate Chip”.
E0F672A1-E922-4FA5-BFCC-09709C4C7550.jpeg
3B805707-587B-4B15-BF3E-9D7A73934FD9.jpeg
F3E8A887-9B6B-48B1-ADAD-BCD39C908C85.jpeg
6BB79A45-B20D-4211-9668-A16172F57137.jpeg

Honestly the scolys are some of my favorite corals in the tank. They have such interesting personalities. I love when they open up wide with their tentacles.

We feed ours regularly with Coral Frenzy, shrimp, and reef roids. Maybe every 3 days? We keep our water super super clean. So maybe that’s part of it. Over all, awesome corals. I want more. Someone stop me I just got my stimmy and my wallet is BURNING.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a few months, though my tank was over-served some soda ash causing a large alk spike killing most of my coral.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of my favorite corals in the tank. I have more of them than anything else...
7 full size and 4 mini’s. Each have their own “attitudes”...
I agree with the others. They are great to watch and absolute blast to feed.
Stable parameters is a must. Throw them on the sand bed or in bottom 1/3 of tank, but make sure they are flat or only slightly angled.
Oh, and they might take a few days to acclimate to the tank...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back