Mama-SCOLY-mia! Love or Hate and how do you keep them healthy?

How long have you been able to keep a scoly coral healthy in your reef tank?

• A few days or weeks

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • A few months

Votes: 36 15.0%
  • Less than a year

Votes: 35 14.6%
  • More than a year

Votes: 53 22.1%
  • Several years

Votes: 52 21.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 56 23.3%

• Total voters

AKreefgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that was bright red with green stripes that I kept for several months about 15 years ago. It did well for a while and then quickly receded and died. I was new to keeping corals at the time and didn't know why it died. In retrospect, it was probably nipped at by the flame angle and bicolor angels in the tank. I think I paid $50 or $60 for it back then . . .

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... and that was my first post on R2R. Have been following for 6 months now and this is the first I’ve had the urge to post. :)
You guys are all AWESOME! I’ve learned so much from R2R and indebted!

My build: 280g (72x30x30), 60g triton sump, Apex for everything except lights, using AI.

Soylent Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 in our tank. The Warpaint, Rainbow and what we have called “The Chocolate Chip”.
E0F672A1-E922-4FA5-BFCC-09709C4C7550.jpeg

Honestly the scolys are some of my favorite corals in the tank. They have such interesting personalities. I love when they open up wide with their tentacles.

We feed ours regularly with Coral Frenzy, shrimp, and reef roids. Maybe every 3 days? We keep our water super super clean.

giant mouth.gif

I can't be the only one who sees the giant mouth can I ?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh... and that was my first post on R2R. Have been following for 6 months now and this is the first I’ve had the urge to post. :)
You guys are all AWESOME! I’ve learned so much from R2R and indebted!

My build: 280g (72x30x30), 60g triton sump, Apex for everything except lights, using AI.

Welcome to R2R! If you are comfortable sharing, we'd love to have you drop by the meet-and-greet section and start a thread to introduce yourself!

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I personally love scolys! They are bigger corals, normally very colorful and bright, can be hand fed and much more. Today let's talk SCOLY!

"Scolymia are one of the most highly sought after large polyp stony corals in the reef keeping hobby. They’ve been popular ever since intensely colored specimens started being imported from Australia. In the past few years, many corals have been reclassified, so what many people call Scolymia such as the ubiquitous Scolymia australis is now Homophyllia australis. Most people in the reef aquarium industry still refer to this coral as a Scolymia.." Excerpt from Tidal Gardens

1. Do you have one or more scoly corals in your reef tank and if so how much do you like them?

2. What are some tips for keeping scolys happy and healthy in your tank?

bigstock-Scolymia-Wellsii-Lps-Coral-On--351110357.jpg
Feeding a piece of shrimp once in a while and leaving it alone. Absolutely bullet proof coral

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 in our tank. The Warpaint, Rainbow and what we have called “The Chocolate Chip”.
E0F672A1-E922-4FA5-BFCC-09709C4C7550.jpeg
3B805707-587B-4B15-BF3E-9D7A73934FD9.jpeg
F3E8A887-9B6B-48B1-ADAD-BCD39C908C85.jpeg
6BB79A45-B20D-4211-9668-A16172F57137.jpeg

Honestly the scolys are some of my favorite corals in the tank. They have such interesting personalities. I love when they open up wide with their tentacles.

We feed ours regularly with Coral Frenzy, shrimp, and reef roids. Maybe every 3 days? We keep our water super super clean. So maybe that’s part of it. Over all, awesome corals. I want more. Someone stop me I just got my stimmy and my wallet is BURNING.
Did you just get that rainbow?.I saw one like it about a week ago, and didn't snag-it.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my ugly duckling button scoly. Picked up from ASD about 6mo ago. Wish I had before and after pics. Paid $25 for it and was almost a brownish red. Spot feeding Fauna LPS grow & color along with feeding Reef Roids has helped it color up tremendously. I’ve kept the larger scoly’s in the past for a year or more then sold them. Wasn’t a big fan of the real estate they took up and didn’t want to spend a ton of money on the nicer ones. I’ve tried button scoly’s a few times and never had any long term success. Hopefully this one will stick around a while.

064CBE5A-80DC-4AE6-B117-487ACD842F1E.jpeg

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 6 months into first tank, and probably made the mistake of adding scolly too early - about the 5 month mark

Unfortunately its receded a little so you can see a ring of skeleton around - which of course then gets algae on it - but I'm pretty sure its now in recovery mode and growing again

Definitely a beautiful piece, and one with "personality" - feeder tentacles are suer active at different times depending on the lights, and watching it feed (Reef roids) is absolutely fascinating

Fingers crossed that the recovery continues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of them that I got when they were dying in someone else’s tank. I was able to bring them back from the brink and now they a huge, hungry and very healthy!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back