Man Vs Bryopsis - Kent's, Continuum, and Vibrant treatment thread

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tripdad, my guess is your bryopsis is consuming your nitrates. The true test for No3 is how your corals look. If your tank is No3 starved your coral colors and growth will suffer and it will be very noticeable.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself, at this point I would rather starve the system a little, rather than be concerned about feeding extra nitrates. As mentioned the consumption of dead algae's will be occurring. I feel this could be counterproductive. Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

Im assuming as much manual removal of the algae would also be beneficial, but doing so would I be removing nitrates too quickly? I wish I had a skimmer for my 20g. Im thinking it would help balance everything out better.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stev01, The bacterias will feed on No3 and Po4 and turn it into biomass as well as cling to and consume the algaes themselves. Does a skimmer help? Yes. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

Manual removal can help and will not remove No3 in a way that it is noticeable as it is bound within the algae.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stev01, The bacterias will feed on No3 and Po4 and turn it into biomass as well as cling to and consume the algaes themselves. Does a skimmer help? Yes. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

Manual removal can help and will not remove No3 in a way that it is noticeable as it is bound within the algae.

Man, its great having you here to answer these questions? Please post the link of your official vibrant thread here as a heads up. Thanks again!

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, its great having you here to answer these questions? Please post the link of your official vibrant thread here as a heads up. Thanks again!

Thank you! Absolutely will. Plan on trying to get it written up and posted this evening.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joel, with Vibrant you keep all filtration running as normal. There is no need to discontinue any biological or mechanical filtration. Dosing is 1ml per 10 gallons weekly unless dealing with bryopsis or turf. For these we recommend dosing 1ml per 10 gallons 2x per week.
Any negative effects if I am already using the AF probiotic system and dosing bacteria/carbon daily? It sounds like Vibrant is yet another form of bacteria.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eg8r210, honestly I have never used any of the AF products or done any testing with them. I'd have to bring them to the lab we work with for testing to find out. I don't think there should be any issues though. Your best bet would be to split your first dose into halves and dose half early in the day, watch for any negative reactions, dose your second half later in the day and watch again. With Vibrant you are adding such a small dose of the bacterias, the vinegar (preservative) is basically non existent at the dose you will be adding. Really don't think there will be any problems. What are you dosing the AF products for or what are there functions?

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joel, with Vibrant you keep all filtration running as normal. There is no need to discontinue any biological or mechanical filtration. Dosing is 1ml per 10 gallons weekly unless dealing with bryopsis or turf. For these we recommend dosing 1ml per 10 gallons 2x per week.

Awesome. It's good to know I don't have to turn off UV or anything when I dose and then remember to turn it back on again the next day.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tripdad, my guess is your bryopsis is consuming your nitrates. The true test for No3 is how your corals look. If your tank is No3 starved your coral colors and growth will suffer and it will be very noticeable.

Thanks for the response and info. I will dose tonight and we shall see what happens.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very welcome! Looking forward to hearing your updates as things move along.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very interesting thread. I've been battling bryopsis for a while now and just started dosing Kent Tech-M about 2 weeks ago. FWIW, my bryopsis is almost completely gone and I think If I keep it up for the next 2 - 3 weeks I should be able to defeat it. Mine is only an RSM130D though.

I wish I had taken photo documentation of it before I started it though. I was literally pulling it out everyday just to keep it from taking over the tank.

Ibra9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Vibrant affect Bio-pellet? I mean the bacteria living on bio pellet's surface?

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Vibrant affect Bio-pellet? I mean the bacteria living on bio pellet's surface?

ibra9, it will not. We have quite a few people using it along with bio pellets with great results.

Maxxingout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if/when Vibrant gets rid of bryopsis or any other algae, do you then stop dosing? How long after algae is gone from the tank should you still dose?

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if/when Vibrant gets rid of bryopsis or any other algae, do you then stop dosing? How long after algae is gone from the tank should you still dose?

Maxxington, that is all covered in the link I posted above. You can either stop dosing once it is gone or switch to the maintenance dose of 1ml per 10 gallons once every two weeks to keep your tank nice and clean.

Maxxingout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after my long battle with bryopsis I'm at that point of tare down. So I figured I'll give Vibrant a shot before I do. I just ordered the 8oz reef aquarium bottle. I will need to take my ATS off line but that's no big deal. I'll try to show pictures of after shots.
This is where it's at now. I have pulled/syphoned a bunch out after I took these pictures but in under 1 week the bry has double in size already.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after my long battle with bryopsis I'm at that point of tare down. So I figured I'll give Vibrant a shot before I do. I just ordered the 8oz reef aquarium bottle. I will need to take my ATS off line but that's no big deal. I'll try to show pictures of after shots.
This is where it's at now. I have pulled/syphoned a bunch out after I took these pictures but in under 1 week the bry has double in size already.

Looks to be the same level of bry outbreak im having. Good luck!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back