Mandarin Dragonet or Yellow Coris Wrasse?

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your little guy! I will be buying a tank raised mandarin in the future too.
It would be great if you start a build thread or keep this thread updated so I can learn some of the tips you use with these little guys.
Sure! PM me if you want updates, its a little late for a build thread, but I could update this with my copepod breeding phyto setup, its super easy!

Edit: a pic of him munching away on the back wall, he's so tiny!

received_3552290004814014.jpeg

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have similar set up 75 display 30 sump just not set up yet.

once the tank is mature
if i was culturing pods could i have a pair of mandarins or 1 mandarin and a coris wrasse?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both fish in an 80 cube with 30G sump(roughly 90G total), plenty of rock, no refugium, as well as 4 other wrasses.

All my fish are fat and happy, and add pods about 4 times a year. I can still see them on my glass and in my sump at night so I know the population is still there.

EDIT:
Forgot to add, my mandy is an ORA mandy and will eat other things besides pods too.

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both fish in an 80 cube with 30G sump(roughly 90G total), plenty of rock, no refugium, as well as 4 other wrasses.

All my fish are fat and happy, and add pods about 4 times a year. I can still see them on my glass and in my sump at night so I know the population is still there.

EDIT:
Forgot to add, my mandy is an ORA mandy and will eat other things besides pods too.
do you think i could have a pair of ora mandarins with the wrasse?

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have similar set up 75 display 30 sump just not set up yet.

once the tank is mature
if i was culturing pods could i have a pair of mandarins or 1 mandarin and a coris wrasse?
I'm not the best one to answer this, but I'm going to opt not to get both, just because I don't want to be stuck propagating food for the life of the animals. Maybe once its super mature? I know some do both.

Some people are just lucky with fish though, I have a friend who knew nothing about mandarins, and just tossed one in his tank week 2 at the advice of a fish shop. He tossed in some Tigger pods once a month and it was fine... my friend has learned since then, but got lucky.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added pods and had a refugium with plenty of live rock, it should be fine.

Many people will disagree with me, but it works in my tank with 2 leopard wrasses, a flasher wrasse, melanarus wrasse, coris wrasse, and green mandy.

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have dry rock but i will add different types and sizes of pods and I'm setting up a refugium

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did, Biota mandarin he’s been fine in a BB tank. I do throw in pods every now and then.
My wife is in love, I told her we probably would have to pass even though it was one of the main fish we've both wanted. He felt at home instantly and ate, my fear of him not eating turned into a fear he was so small that his tank mates would think he was food. So far the tank is super peaceful though.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is in love, I told her we probably would have to pass even though it was one of the main fish we've both wanted. He felt at home instantly and ate, my fear of him not eating turned into a fear he was so small that his tank mates would think he was food. So far the tank is super peaceful though.
I had the same fear about size when I got my ORA mandy. I have snails bigger then it was!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added pods and had a refugium with plenty of live rock, it should be fine.

Many people will disagree with me, but it works in my tank with 2 leopard wrasses, a flasher wrasse, melanarus wrasse, coris wrasse, and green mandy.
Hey @homer1475
Just want to be clear, do you have a tank raised mandarin? I ask because I am concerned. I want one, but realize if they do not eat what companies claim, I will be devastated, and fish will likely die.

EDIT: I see you have an ORA “Mandy”. Still have same questions below.

ORA and Biota claim these guys eat frozen and other non-live foods.

Wondering if you had problems with your tank bred mandarins not eating what the companies say they will eat.

I have no experience with tank bred mandarins and just looking for guidance from people that have them as little 1” fish.

Last edited:

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ORA mandy will eat mainly pods though out the day, like any mandy would.....

But he/she(still too little to tell sex) will take pellets that fall to the sand, as well as mysis, and any chunks of LRS that floats by, and has since day 1 in my tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back