mandarin dragonet

stumpy277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adopted a mandarin dragonet ...see how he does. Plenty of copepods for him.
50b976cb56b274866cd219c1cb2aeb56.jpg

86a8e98cd3e6143981e816f72c1a75e5.jpg

Last edited:

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and plump!
Yeah man he was easy to target feed in my 20g as a juvenile. Now that he is a year older and in an upgrade to a 40B. I was worried about flow being a problem pushing frozens around. Well he is older now and a way better of a hunter. Before he wouldn't eat anything if it wasn't 1-2 inches away from him or hit a dead spot. Now it is 4-5 inches and he swims his butt off to attack it floating by.

OP
OP
S

stumpy277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man he was easy to target feed in my 20g as a juvenile. Now that he is a year older and in an upgrade to a 40B. I was worried about flow being a problem pushing frozens around. Well he is older now and a way better of a hunter. Before he wouldn't eat anything if it wasn't 1-2 inches away from him or hit a dead spot. Now it is 4-5 inches and he swims his butt off to attack it floating by.
Awesome! Well this little girl is in my nano helping me combat a massive copepod outbreak...she won't stay...but for now she has her work cut out for her...seems happy..
a2e44fa71076db7c6a433f5f60be00ae.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard it takes like 2 weeks for one to decimate a smaller tank. She is a beaut though. That was and still is the first fish I ever wanted. Settled with the spotted, because they eat like pigs if you care for them right.

OP
OP
S

stumpy277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask you a few questions?
She has been quite active in the day and seems happy...but sometimes at night she looks like she wants to jump out ...she porpusing up and down at the surface..not fully jumping out just popping her head out like a bobber...any ideas

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 spotted gobies over the past 15 years and maybe it's luck but mine always seem to take to frozen foods. They even chase the frozen mysis and brine. I've never tried the psychedelic ones prob because I've had good experiences with the spotted ones.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask you a few questions?
She has been quite active in the day and seems happy...but sometimes at night she looks like she wants to jump out ...she porpusing up and down at the surface..not fully jumping out just popping her head out like a bobber...any ideas
She is just being a fish. They don't eat 24/7. I have heard of a few jumper stories. Mine likes to bob at the top now being in the 40B. Always a swim up and down fish. He does pop the top of the water during moonlight hour. Just keep a tight lid.
I do not have experience with green or red mandarins. I go buy one rule of thumb that has been given to me by several LFS. If you don't have a populated refugium of a minimum of 1 year. Your chance of success for survival is 0. Unless you can train them to eat frozens or can be bought eating them. Then they have a chance. They can also turn away from eating frozens I heard too even when bought eating them. So you need that backup plan.

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your dragonet doing? Very curious on your journey. Been debating on adding one to my 45g for a while. It would be the last fish I add.

Still active and eating? Adding copepods seems like a pain. And eating frozen foods seems hit or miss with them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back