Mandarin Dragonet

Sam071

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions on when to add a mandarin. It looks like most people say after 6-12months. Our tank is about 2 months old and we already have pods covering the glass, refugium and live rocks. Is there a way to know that the population of pod is sustainable or the mandarin will wipe it out in a couple days? I plan to redose pods monthly and we dose phyto at night. I also have live baby brine shrimp hatcheries and plan to supplement frozen food.

Also, any opinions on keeping a scooter blenny and a mandarin together?

55G tank with refugium, live rock and chaeto

Thank you!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions on when to add a mandarin. It looks like most people say after 6-12months. Our tank is about 2 months old and we already have pods covering the glass, refugium and live rocks. Is there a way to know that the population of pod is sustainable or the mandarin will wipe it out in a couple days? I plan to redose pods monthly and we dose phyto at night. I also have live baby brine shrimp hatcheries and plan to supplement frozen food.

Thank you!
I would think it's fine now. I'd recommend dosing live phyto also. It'll help with algae and feed your pods at the same time.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.
Mandarins are gorgeous creatures.
They can be bought raised on frozen mysis, which would make them less dependent on yhe pod population, increasing chances of sutvival.

OP
OP
Sam071

Sam071

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it's fine now. I'd recommend dosing live phyto also. It'll help with algae and feed your pods at the same time.
Thanks! We are currently dosing phyto in the evenings

OP
OP
Sam071

Sam071

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.
Mandarins are gorgeous creatures.
They can be bought raised on frozen mysis, which would make them less dependent on yhe pod population, increasing chances of sutvival.
Thank you. I've heard Biota typically raises their Mandarins to eat frozen mysis correct?

OP
OP
Sam071

Sam071

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my mandarin at the 4 month mark that was 1.5 yrs ago my tank glass was covered in pods and that's all he eats.
How big is your tank.
As long as the tank isn't too small he should not eat himself out of the pod supply.
Good luck, these fish are jewels
It's a 55G with a refugium. I'm hoping to have a mandarin and a scooter blenny. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Sam071

Sam071

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although Captive bred mandarins eat mysis and other prepared foods they still need a ton of pods
Of course :) That's why I said I would be supplementing frozen mysis. I don't expect it to be the core of their diet but it would be nice if they'll accept it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal if feeding a mandarin frozen, how many times per day should you be feeding? Don't they have small digestive tracts?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 55G with a refugium. I'm hoping to have a mandarin and a scooter blenny. Thoughts?
My tank is a 130 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and he has no competition for the pods.
You should be fine but keep an eye on the pod population on the glass before getting the scooter.
My glass always has pods and he is rather plump so I don't worry about him.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added one to my 80g system with fuge and 19 months old. The pods go fast and I have had to supplement with jars of pods. However, now the fish seems to be sampling other foods off the sandbed too. They really seem to like Coral Feast Ova fish eggs but it is expensive. Mine is over a month now and seems to be healthy. If you raise your own pods you should be fine but they eat thousands per day.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g without a sump. Added pods once at beginning of tank. Mandarin is about 5 now and fat

OP
OP
Sam071

Sam071

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 130 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and he has no competition for the pods.
You should be fine but keep an eye on the pod population on the glass before getting the scooter.
My glass always has pods and he is rather plump so I don't worry about him.
Will do. Thank you

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have or plan to have any other fish that will hunt pods actively? That will become a problem if so. having lots of rock in the display helps to provide areas fish can’t get at for them to reproduce in the display. I notice you have a refugium so that is already a bonus for pod population. Mine eats frozen but it would not survive on frozen or pellets alone. They need to eat often because they don’t have a large stomach to eat big meals so they eat small amounts much more frequently. Paul b has written lots of good posts on here about them and has a cool feeder design for them.

Like others mentioned phyto seems to help. This is just anecdotal but I notice way more pods when I have been consistently dosing phyto than the few times I ran out for a couple weeks. No idea the effect the small amount I dose (20ml in about 80 gallons per day) has on corals though but I don’t care. I have had my Mandarin for 8 months or so now and him in my display around the 4 month mark of my tank. Only had a hob filter at that point so no fuge and I attribute being able to keep a steady supply of pods to phyto as I only added two small bottles of reef nutrion pods to the tank ever.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thank you!
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That size tank won’t be sustainable for producing food for a mandarin long term. I think others have mentioned this, get a Biota captive raised mandarin where you can be assured it will feed well on prepared foods.

Jay

Back