Mandarin feeding

Tony G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Mandarins in a 34 gallon tank. A Green Mandarin and a Spotted. Before I get bombarded with the how could I's please be informed that I did my homework. I realize that they have a high mortality rate and need to be cared for with "kit" gloves.

I purchase alot of copepods to keep my fish in the correct kind of food. I knew from the start I would spend more in food in a couple of months then the fish cost.

My question is this... A bottel of copepods has approx 1000 in it ( I could only count 968..LOL
grin.gif
). How much and how often should they be fed? Currently I use a bottle every 2 weeks. Does that sound right? The Spotted is doing great. the Green one I am concerned about. It eats but does not look the same as the Spotted. Both are very active and seem fine but the Spotted seems "fatter". I also use frozen food and live Brine shrimp.

Thanks in advance.

Tony G

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
build some pod piles in your tank so that the pods have a safe place to reproduce.

+1 you will never have to buy them again. I have a spotted mandarin and wrasse that eat them non-stop and every time I check the tank at night it's polluted with pods. I dug out some of the sand in two of the corners of my tank and just put a bunch of rubble rock and shells in it. Also depending on how porous your main pieces of live rock is that will also help greatly.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferring chaeto from sump to tank every couple of days can help, too. Not necessary for very long, but would add more help kick start a population in the display.

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony it is good that you are feeding them with pods. I would also recommend trying to train them to eat frozen food. It will make life lot easier for you in the long run.

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEWB Question

I have 2 Mandarins in a 34 gallon tank. A Green Mandarin and a Spotted. Before I get bombarded with the how could I's please be informed that I did my homework. I realize that they have a high mortality rate and need to be cared for with "kit" gloves.

I purchase alot of copepods to keep my fish in the correct kind of food. I knew from the start I would spend more in food in a couple of months then the fish cost.

My question is this... A bottel of copepods has approx 1000 in it ( I could only count 968..LOL
grin.gif
). How much and how often should they be fed? Currently I use a bottle every 2 weeks. Does that sound right? The Spotted is doing great. the Green one I am concerned about. It eats but does not look the same as the Spotted. Both are very active and seem fine but the Spotted seems "fatter". I also use frozen food and live Brine shrimp.

Thanks in advance.

Tony G

Where is it that you buy your pods
do you only buy copepods or do you get the others dont remember the name but starts with an A and the other starts with an R?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack this thread but they dont need sand beds do they? and how do you check for bpods at night?

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Training your Mandarin's to eat frozen

I have trained my male and female mandarin pair to eat Frozen Mysis and Nutramar Ova. I have a piece of rigid tubing attached to a bulb syringe or also called a baby nose booger sucker...lol. When feeding the tank I suck some Ova and Mysis into the rigid tubing and squirt it very slowly by the mandarins. It took a couple times of doing this and they eat frozen everytime I feed the tank.

JUST FYI..Gamma Lobster Eggs and Nutramar Ova are the same food, simply with different packaging and a different name.

Here is a link to video of them doing the love dance.. http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn273/bkoppes/?action=view&current=MOV03335.flv

c

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can i find a flash light thats red, i just looked but no luck

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good. It's amazing the things you can see with a red flashlight. It scared the crap out of me when I saw the pods crawling all over the rocks and also the bristle worms. I use it to catch the huge bristle worms.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back