Mandarin Goby having issues swimming

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my female Mandarin since 2018. She's been an active eater since I've had her, accepting frozen when I first got her but sticking to pods once she fattened up. Over the last week I noticed she hasn't been as active as usual, then 2 days ago she spent the entire day in the corner of the tank where she sleeps. Observing her after lights out I notice she can't keep her tail end down. It's constantly floating up in the air and she's having to correct it and not getting rest like she should. She's spent the entire day in the corner of the tank again today, fighting to keep her tail down and occasionally stopping to eat a few pods. It also looks like she might have an abnormal bend in her spine but i cant tell if thats just from fighting her tail. My glass is absolutely covered with pods, no shortage of food.

Can anyone tell me what options I have with treating this fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my female Mandarin since 2018. She's been an active eater since I've had her, accepting frozen when I first got her but sticking to pods once she fattened up. Over the last week I noticed she hasn't been as active as usual, then 2 days ago she spent the entire day in the corner of the tank where she sleeps. Observing her after lights out I notice she can't keep her tail end down. It's constantly floating up in the air and she's having to correct it and not getting rest like she should. She's spent the entire day in the corner of the tank again today, fighting to keep her tail down and occasionally stopping to eat a few pods. It also looks like she might have an abnormal bend in her spine but i cant tell if thats just from fighting her tail. My glass is absolutely covered with pods, no shortage of food.

Can anyone tell me what options I have with treating this fish?
Can you post a video?
Four years is really good for a mandarin, I don’t think I’ve ever had one much longer than that.
Jay

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is sped up 2x. Sorry it is out of focus, have to set phone on stand and walk away or I'll spook her. A friend says he's had fish react like this to an injury. I was re-arranging rockwork last week and wondering if I got her with something without noticing. Really worried she's not gonna make it long. She hasn't been foraging for 3-4 days now.

Edit - looks like video upload didn't work. Will have to see if I can figure out youtube

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did! I'm going to my lfs first thing in the morning and see if I can get the medications mentioned for treating swim bladder disorders.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on swim bladder disease. As you treat it, might consider some baby brine shirmp short term to try and tempt her to eat again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back