Mandarin health

Discussion in 'Algae Barn' started by Brew12, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I take great pride in the QT system I use for my DT and am confident that it is Ich/Velvet free. I also lack confidence that I can get a Mandarin through a proper QT protocol. With captive bred Mandarins, it should be very possible that the fish are parasite free.

Do you know if the breeders take the necessary precautions to ensure that these Mandarin are free of parasites?

Tags:

2. justinm

justinm Active Member

When I qt’d my mandarin, he sat about 4 months in a cycled qt that sat fallow for about 90 days prior. He was fed exclusively nutramar ova. Now he’s in the DT, fat and healthy. I will add that I don’t think I have a picky mandarin, I have seen him eat cyclopeeze, and live black worms too

I know this doesn’t answer your question directly but think you could pull a qt off with proper planning.

Brew12 likes this.
  3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Did you treat with copper or CP? Or just observe?

4. justinm

justinm Active Member

He was treated with CP.

5. justinm

justinm Active Member

I prophylactically treat everything after a velvet outbreak in 2012. Never again!

6. Brew12

I may have to go talk to my vet. Was really hoping to find some that didn't need QT.

7. Brew12

I'm with you. I've never had an outbreak of anything but I am very defensive when it comes to what goes in my tank.

8. justinm

justinm Active Member

Regardless of what anyone says, I don’t trust their qt protocol, especially from a supplier. Hands are dipped in too many different tanks.

9. Brew12

I definitely don't trust most suppliers. A dedicated breeding facility should have no issue maintaining a parasite free system. That is my hope at least.

10. justinm

justinm Active Member

I would hope so.

11. monkiboy

monkiboy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I'd like to believe that but it just seems impossible. ORA and similar have had known cases of velvet and ich with their fish possibly stemming from wild broodstock? not sure of the biota folks and their protocol or system for their mandarins. only folks I would trust completely are sea and reef and their captive bred broodstock as their clean facilities are bio secure and extraordinary levels are taken.

12. Cleo642

Cleo642 Valuable Member

Good morning Brew12! :)

Brew12 likes this.
  13. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

@Brew12 email kevin at biota, he will have some good info on his mandarins for you.

Brew12 and chefjpaul like this.
  14. Brew12

Good morning!
    I will do that, thanks!

Cleo642 and DSC reef like this.
  15. AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hi,

Thank you for the question. To QT a mandarin we recommend feeding frozen and live foods like copepods or our NanoBrine shrimp which make a more affordable alternative to copepods and are a great live food source for mandarins, especially in QT. We always recommend, despite our best efforts that all new additions to your display tank are quarantined properly. Since we do not breed these fish ourselves, we cannot and do not guarantee that they are free from any unwanted parasites, when they arrive to us we observe and condition them for 2 weeks to ensure they are healthy and eating well before we offer them for sale. For information directly from the breeder, please contact Biota Aquariums. Thank you!

16. Brew12

Thank you, I appreciate it! I figured that was the case but wanted to check.

AlgaeBarn likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted