mandarin in newly cycled tank ok tiktok

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is kinda a rant and it’s kinda long about a person i ment on tiktok you don’t have to read it.

i also tried to make it as easy to read as i can since i dont know how to use alot of proper grammar but if you do want to read it you can i just wanted to rant about this somewhere.

and i’m also sorry if this seems really rude and mean i just had to rant somewhere.

ok so i’m on tiktok and everything because i like to post satisfying reef content because i enjoy doing it and everything.

but here’s the thing me and this guy started talking because he also owns a reef and everything and he works at a fish store as well.

and all was going well till i started watching some of his stuff.

• so he posted something last night that kinda made me wanna cut ties with talking to him and stuff.

he recently cycled a tank for a seahorse and i was like that ok and i put watch out for hydroids because ik they can be a problem in a seahorse tank since i wanted my first tank to be seahorses but he had no idea what they were and said what the f are those.

but here’s the real big problem for me he just cycled the tank added the seahorse and then he also adds a mandarin dragonette a spotted one to be exact in a video where he’s adding pods to a tank that just got cycled proclaiming that that’s all they eat.

the tank is 10-15 gallons and i said something about it not being mature enough for a mandarin especially in a new tank.

(i’m also aware i had mine in a 10 gal and i relized the reason about why tank size dose matter in the hobby and that research is very important that’s why i now study any animal before i add it to my tank now so that i know i can keep it for it’s entire life and that it thrives and is healthy and i have learned from my mistakes a lot since i started.)

but here’s the thing that ticked me so off about everything someone in the comments tried to defend him saying the tank was cycled and that he tested it.

another one of her points was it was an inch long and only temporarily and i know he has a an established reef tank already and everything but here’s the thing to my knowledge dont they have a slime coat similar to that of a frog and that it’s hard for ich and stuff to travel on them like parasites so my question is why dosent he just add it to his other reef tank then i’m also not to sure if he was just quarantining it or not because i said something because i don’t want anyone to lose such a beautiful fish like i did because in the video she says that it’s only a temporary thing but in the video he doesn’t say a single thing about moving it to the new tank at all.

but my real question is that should i have called him out on it or not i know he should know the care of the animal seeing as he works at a fish store and it dosent look like a pets smart or a petco to me.

so did i do something wrong for calling him out or should i have just not said anything.

Last edited:

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is kinda a rant and it’s kinda long about a person i ment on tiktok you don’t have to read it.

i also tried to make it as easy to read as i can since i dont know how to use alot of proper grammar but if you do want to read it you can i just wanted to rant about this somewhere.

and i’m also sorry if this seems really rude and mean i just had to rant somewhere.

ok so i’m on tiktok and everything because i like to post satisfying reef content because i enjoy doing it and everything.

but here’s the thing me and this guy started talking because he also owns a reef and everything and he works at a fish store as well.

and all was going well till i started watching some of his stuff.

• so he posted something last night that kinda made me wanna cut ties with talking to him and stuff.

he recently cycled a tank for a seahorse and i was like that ok and i put watch out for hydroids because ik they can be a problem in a seahorse tank since i wanted my first tank to be seahorses but he had no idea what they were and said what the f are those.

but here’s the real big problem for me he just cycled the tank added the seahorse and then he also adds a mandarin dragonette a spotted one to be exact in a video where he’s adding pods to a tank that just got cycled proclaiming that that’s all they eat.

the tank is 10-15 gallons and i said something about it not being mature enough for a mandarin especially in a new tank.

(i’m also aware i had mine in a 10 gal and i relized the reason about why tank size dose matter in the hobby and that research is very important that’s why i now study any animal before i add it to my tank now so that i know i can keep it for it’s entire life and that it thrives and is healthy and i have learned from my mistakes a lot since i started.)

but here’s the thing that ticked me so off about everything someone in the comments tried to defend him saying the tank was cycled and that he tested it.

another one of her points was it was an inch long and only temporarily and i know he has a an established reef tank already and everything but here’s the thing to my knowledge dont they have a slime coat similar to that of a frog and that it’s hard for ich and stuff to travel on them like parasites so my question is why dosent he just add it to his other reef tank then i’m also not to sure if he was just quarantining it or not because i said something because i don’t want anyone to lose such a beautiful fish like i did because in the video she says that it’s only a temporary thing but in the video he doesn’t say a single thing about moving it to the new tank at all.

but my real question is that should i have called him out on it or not i know he should know the care of the animal seeing as he works at a fish store and it dosent look like a pets smart or a petco to me.

so did i do something wrong for calling him out or should i have just not said anything.
I have a pair of blue manadarins in a 13.5 gal fluval. The tank is only a couple months old and I already have an over population of pods. My mandarins are fat and happy. I don't need to supplement but I will pull some from other tanks occasionally.

If the guy is willing to spend the money to buy and supplement pods for feeding then I think thats perfectly fine. To be honest I added mine after about 2 weeks cycling my nano. Mandarins can indeed carry ich and velvet.

You should chill lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right and the poster above me is just plain wrong. You cannot have 2, let alone 12 mandarin in a tank that small and have it thrive long term. I don't care how many pods you buy, you cannot sustain them long term in such a small tank.

Mandarins eat hundred of pods a day(something like 1 every few seconds), they do not have a long and evolved intestinal tract, so the food they eat passes right through with very little nutrition going into their bodies(hence the need to eat every few seconds). In a small tank, you simply cannot sustain the pod population needed to keep one mandarin alive and thriving, let alone 2.

Some noobies learn the hard way, and some do research and learn that way. Most people these days know better then any "expert" or experienced hobbyist, and will do what they want. These people will learn the hard way, and more then likely will be out of the hobby in 6 months.

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right and the poster above me is just plain wrong. You cannot have 2, let alone 12 mandarin in a tank that small and have it thrive long term. I don't care how many pods you buy, you cannot sustain them long term in such a small tank.

Mandarins eat hundred of pods a day(something like 1 every few seconds), they do not have a long and evolved intestinal tract, so the food they eat passes right through with very little nutrition going into their bodies(hence the need to eat every few seconds). In a small tank, you simply cannot sustain the pod population needed to keep one mandarin alive and thriving, let alone 2.

Some noobies learn the hard way, and some do research and learn that way. Most people these days know better then any "expert" or experienced hobbyist, and will do what they want. These people will learn the hard way, and more then likely will be out of the hobby in 6 months.
Crazy, I've seen mandarins in small tanks for years that have refugs or the person has a culture going. I think some people claim to be experienced, yet they're just mediocre and cannot achieve the same results as others. Especially those that run cultures. There are a lot of substrate copepods that a properly designed tank could support long term. The right grade sand can do miracles for providing your copepods a place to reproduce. My dad kept a mandarin pair in his 17 gallon self built tank for 5 years before he upgraded to a 90.

I personally can observe my pod population frequently and add pods from my other tanks if I need to. My mandarins are so fat you'd think they were pregnant. Happily chilling in my 13.5 gallon for another 3-4 months until my reefer-s 1000 is established.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back