Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Finicky Fish:
My intention is to introduce at the same time:
  • a male blue mandarin;
  • a female spotted mandarin;
  • a female red ruby dragonet
to my LPS/softie-only bare bottom 50G. It only has 2 ocellaris and 1 helfrichi firefish - I won't add any aggressive eaters that could stop the mandarins from making their way to the food.

The Automated Frozen Food:
I've pretty much read anything I could find on mandarin frozen food training in the last 2 yrs. I've never got a Mandy because I'd hate to just starve one because I didn't plan this carefully. From what I've read, most Mandies will eat lobster eggs and live brine shimp, and can be easily trained to eat frozen brine to start with.
Could Mandy owners who trained their Mandies to eat frozen confirm this?

My long-term plan is to dose several times a day (minimum 4 o 6 times a day) a mixture of:
  • lobster eggs;
  • frozen brine;
  • liquid-preserved pods;
  • chopped up mysis;
  • live phytoplankton to increase pod population (tho it's always gonna be poor).
This is also to avoid having to spot-feed Tubastrea all the time. I'll also add EasyReefs Masstick manually.

I've hooked up the return line of my 50G to a dosing pump with 3/8 tubing, which leads to a mini fridge/freezer that can go down to 32F.
I modded the dosing pump so it can reverse to prevent any food from spoiling outside the fridge/freezer.

My idea is that by feeding a varied mixture of different foods several times a day the mandarins will eventually acclimatise to a frozen diet.

The Live Food:
I've also set up a 2G zooplancton reactor in the cabinet. This will dose live pods automatically, while the reactor will be re-filled with water from the tank, and live phytoplankton from the fridge. Hopefully the culture is not gonna crash with continuous small water changes from the main tank.

The filtration / nutrient control:
Depending on what will turn out to work best in terms of NO3/PO4 balance:
  • Fuge;
  • drop-dosed Tropic Marin Elimi-NP (Carbon dosing for tanks with PO4 > 0.1 ppm);
  • Oversized skimmer;
  • Clarisea Automatic Fleece Filter;
  • drop-dosed Lanthanum Chloride;
  • GFO;
  • Sulphur Denitrator (got automatic alkalinity test setup in case the Sulphur denitrator devours my Alk).
  • Ozone to help with the organics bonanza;
Anyone care to provide their insights, constructive criticism, or ideas to improve my plan?
I could also try a mandarin diner.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you not just doing a baby brine shrimp feeder? It doesn't get any easier than that (and it's more healthy than frozen imo)

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you not just doing a baby brine shrimp feeder? It doesn't get any easier than that (and it's more healthy than frozen imo)

Mostly because I'd like the mandies to have a varied diet.
Are there any baby brine shrimp feeders that can be automated? I've only seen ones that need you to manually put the eggs in.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to how you get Lobster eggs. During breeding season they enforce the taking of lobsters as though it was robbing the bank.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly because I'd like the mandies to have a varied diet.
Are there any baby brine shrimp feeders that can be automated? I've only seen ones that need you to manually put the eggs in.
I believe @Paul B has an automated one, maybe he can chime in

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to how you get Lobster eggs. During breeding season they enforce the taking of lobsters as though it was robbing the bank.
Major online retailer of aquarium stuff here in Italy carries these:
  1. Ruto Red Plancton (copepods essentially)
  2. Ruto Lobster Eggs
  3. Ruto Marine Quintet contains:
    1. shrimp
    2. mussel
    3. artemia
    4. red plankton > copepods
    5. lobster egg
But you can also try to buy frozen tobiko and Masago, flying fish roe, at asian food shops. It's the red eggs on sushi.
They seem to be equally accepted by Mandies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back